Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 20, 2009, 08:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Have to rely on yer judgement on that cuz I know nothing about the older cards, nothing.

What I do know is that compare to what I've read here and at the old haunt, the 260/216/SE with shaders up just a bit averages 7k PPD or more on more than 50% of the work units they've received. 75% is a close all-around average for the vast majority of everything I've seen it do to date. Pretty hard to beat for the price IMO.
Old December 20, 2009, 08:43 PM
Banned
F@H

ok. i tought it was more like 9k. saying this because lows on the gt's are roughly 4.5-5k and highs over 6 k so lets say a healthy 5k average. if the 260 is only good for an average of 2k more...hmm....the good thing is that if you dont have a boatload of slots to fill it does the best ppd/dollar paid i think...havent calculated for gx2's but those dont oc that muc heither i think soo..hmm...
Old December 20, 2009, 09:23 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I've never seen or even heard of a bump like that on any of the 260's work well for long, if at all, but you know I don't cruise mass/enthusiast sites and/or magazines either, so of course I ain't gonna know jack squat LOL. I just keep fairly good performance reports on the work units I've seen it run, especially those that forums users seem to be having more that the usual number of problems with. For the most part, that is what influenced my overall opinion or the 260/216/SE the most. Mine are the EVGA encarnation by the way. I haven't liked the quality of construction on a BFG VID card that I've actually had in my hands yet and the one I did buy flat refused to outdo my poor lil 260's, so back it went, same day. I dunno bro, If ya can find a pair of 260/216/SE cheap enough then I'd jump on it. Otherwise I'd wait to see who wins the next round, and pray I picked the right one, with reliability firmly in mind as well. ANY other approach you take is gonna wind up in the junk yard soon enough anyway.

JAOFO
Old December 20, 2009, 09:53 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. well 300 for two 55nm cores is not bad, could be better. 50 bucks less i wouldve snatched them eyes closed.
Old December 20, 2009, 10:25 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
cool. well 300 for two 55nm cores is not bad, could be better. 50 bucks less i wouldve snatched them eyes closed.
Everything I've seen and heard indicates they're not gonna be around much longer man, so I'd jump on it. If your mobo will take two or even 4 then HELL YES get 'em. You know me well enough to know what earns my respect and why, and the converse of course. I've been after you to do it for a long time now, often disappointed, though I admire for tenacity for hanging on to the moola LOL. The time HAS come Dan. Damnit I know how fast you can churn our folding boxes and you know damn well what my ultra cheapo POS boxes do, so why keep waiting? You can throw one together a lot cheaper than I can, and I'd bet on it. I don't have to cheap out on stuff by a long shot but I do simply because this is all throwaway mass market stuff anyway. And get the cheapest QXXXX LGA775 quad you can get to go with it. Do ya think I'd be using one of all that crap didn't work flawlessly together? Ya can't beat a 3.5 Ghz box for what I built this one for. Its worthless for anything I do except for folding but ya can't beat the poor lil thing for what it does for the now cheaper than dirt price. And I know you can do better for prices!!

BTW - C says don't cheap out on a crap 7200 rpm drive if there any chance ya might use it for anything else as well. That's one lesson she had to learn the hard way. The only bet she's ever taken and lost. But if for folding ONLY, throw in a junker cuz CPU and GPU aren't give a rat's backside LOL
Old December 20, 2009, 10:51 PM
Banned
F@H

roger that. hohoho!
Old December 20, 2009, 11:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

That won't get ya a home made apply pie from the wife!!
Old December 20, 2009, 11:11 PM
Banned
F@H

itll get bad till it gets here :D
Old December 21, 2009, 12:08 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

For the record, my overclocked 65nm GTX260 does about 8000PPD on average, and drops down to ~7350PPD while running 1888-point workunits. Keep in mind that I am also running it in Linux under WINE. When I put it in my main rig in the near future, I will most likely get even more out of it. I am also aware of people getting over 9000PPD on 55nm GTX260s with the shaders clocked over 1700MHz.
Old December 21, 2009, 12:25 AM
Banned
F@H

wait, 1700 on the shaders? bm says he cant get his cards past..was it 1600?