Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2009, 04:07 PM
Banned
F@H

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

is it worth the trouble? :)
Old December 12, 2009, 04:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

is it worth the trouble? :)
It depends. Ya gotta remember that precise measurements is part of what I do for a living.
It also very badly makes me run like hell away from non-professional methods and crude instruments,
simply because the errors can be absolutely horrifying. As bad as +/-5-10C is fairly common, plus skill in mounting and bonding the damn sensor is extremely critical. So, it depends on what you really expect to get from the exercise. The cheapest methods avaiable can be accurate to within about 3C of the actual core temp. For the average buyer though, they'll damn lucky to see it within 10C of actual.

And god help those trying to use an IR gun. You re wasting your time and money. The object is to measure device temperature. NOT radiant temp which is composed of several additional variables that introduce errors the same as series resistance does. Completely worthless unless one knows exactly how to compensate for those.
Old December 12, 2009, 05:11 PM
Banned
F@H

ok so basically its worth the effort because its nteresting and two if it breaks it doesnt cost 15k ? :)
Old December 12, 2009, 07:29 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
ok so basically its worth the effort because its nteresting and two if it breaks it doesnt cost 15k ? :)
Yes, that's basically how I feel about it. If your soldering skills are lacking, you'll know right away. The sensors, actually thermistors that conform to a standard ANSI standard chart, are also pretty cheap when bought in volume. Still only around 3 bucks a pop for the better ones with tighter tolerances. These thermistors have a negative temperature coefficient and are 10K ohms at 25C. Output change is NOT linear with themerature change though, and just as with thermocouples, requires additional circuitry to linearize/accurize the final reading. Not hard to get around calibrating one of those either. Accuraces of +/-1C from -10C to 100C are pretty easy to get, and for a lot of people its really more accurate than they'll ever need.
Old December 12, 2009, 07:35 PM
Banned
F@H

nice. hows ya feldn? :)

and g vitara. a must.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:01 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
nice. hows ya feldn? :)

and g vitara. a must.
Feldin ti back to normal, but stanfarts stats aren't. Takes days for their stuff to settle down. Maybe just a few days this time because the break wasn't very long. I hope the Soul man didn't take an expensive hit on the failure. Always happens when a fella just doesn't quite enough for the parts.

We're taking a look at the G Vitara right off the bat tomorrow morning. Got my driver's license back pretty easily, had some fun with the G35 too. Pretty fun lil thing in a parking lot but damn those things eat gas like crazy. Spoils all the fun. Been quite a few years since California yanked my license, and just moving to another state to get it back. Doesn't make any sense to me but this whole country (USA) is FUBAR anyway

Anyway, SD is one plaace I hope I never have to go back to, not anytime soon that is. I've NEVER been so glad to get out of a town before.

So wasup wit yer stuf? Still hung up on parts or is thy PPD on the way up?

b
Old December 12, 2009, 08:38 PM
Banned
F@H

ppd is stable, till i get another set of card(s).

license..hmm..it can vary from state/province to province.up here is a bit more alike but not totally. some provinces have weird laws..like for scooters. up here you can drive one with your car license.

let me know how the g vitara treats you. tough lil cookie. chose something else..and il ldamn ya forever lol
Old December 12, 2009, 08:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well ya gotta remember this gonna be HER vehicle. So its her ultimate choice. She asks questions,
I give what answers I can, and given where we live now, some extra food for thought.
Bad decisions she might make, she'll have to live with 'em. Not my problem, I have ear muffs.
She totally agrees its gotta be something we can get around in when the snow hits hard
but she doesn't some weirdo lookin POS that looks like a kid glued leggo parts together either.
Gotta be more lady like, lady friendly, than what men would probably go for.
Only thing she hates worse than ugly SUV's are getting stuck somewhere in a purdy but expensive POS.
Old December 12, 2009, 09:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
ppd is stable, till i get another set of card(s).

license..hmm..it can vary from state/province to province.up here is a bit more alike but not totally. some provinces have weird laws..like for scooters. up here you can drive one with your car license.

let me know how the g vitara treats you. tough lil cookie. chose something else..and il ldamn ya forever lol
Dun worry, yul hear frum me aight.

Ya know what else flew through my pea-brain?? Ya know how long its been since riding a motorcycle, like my favorite GS1100E? Gimmee a Turbo-Bussa now and lemmee play just a lil bit LOL.
Old December 12, 2009, 09:24 PM
Banned
F@H

tsk tsk..that is a perfect chick 4x4 lol. and if the color aint sissy, you can drive it too man. go tru terrain like its butter :D

you on a bike i dun wanna see.