Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2009, 05:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anything under 100C is fine.
Old October 17, 2009, 06:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Right now I wish my card was in the 70c-80c range, My room would be warmer
Old October 17, 2009, 08:19 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
Right now I wish my card was in the 70c-80c range, My room would be warmer
A higher temperature does not necessarily mean more heat.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A higher temperature does not necessarily mean more heat.
Oh yeah ?!?!? Explain please.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
Well, I decided to take up folding again (only did it for a week a couple of years back with an Athlon X2) seeing as how midterms are here and I should really stop playing games this year. Joining HWC's folding team :D

So anyhow, I installed the GPU2 client (is there a significant difference in points between the console version and the graphical version?
I have a Q8400 in my current system and running Windows 7, should I use VMware w/ console client?

Main question:

I only game for ~1-3 hours and my GTX260 Core216 55nm rarely goes above 80 but when folding, it's at 79 degrees with the fan at 75%. Is this ok? Or will it lead to premature failure (not that it matters...just RMA but I'm wondering so I'll buy another card or something to back myself up in advance)?

I do have a Q6600, 8800GT, and an Athlon X2 system back home but I'm not sure if my family members will know how to set it up and if they don't mind the fan noise...but how many points/day would I get if I get those running?
That's notably warmer than mine runs, but its a different brand so who knows. Mie is a EVGA GTX260/216 SC and I haven't seen it hit above 63C in a 25C room under full load yet. Graphics cards very often run warmer than a CPU anyway. Honestly, I wouldn't worry until it hit above 80C maybe even more. I wish the mfrs would publish the limits as displayed by the utils they often supply with the card but I haven't seen that either in quite a while.
Old October 17, 2009, 08:56 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Oh yeah ?!?!? Explain please.
Temperature is really just a measurement of the rate of heat flow between objects. The larger the temperature difference, the more heat flows from the area of higher temperature to the area of lower temperature. However, what temperature a given amount of heat will produce depends on several factors, including the specific heat capacity of the material in question, the ambient temperature, how the object is being cooled, etc. (consider the fact that a CPU can be cooled by a large heatsink and a small heatsink, running at different temperatures on each one, but it's still producing the same amount of heat).
Old October 17, 2009, 09:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
Temperature is really just a measurement of the rate of heat flow between objects. The larger the temperature difference, the more heat flows from the area of higher temperature to the area of lower temperature. However, what temperature a given amount of heat will produce depends on several factors, including the specific heat capacity of the material in question, the ambient temperature, how the object is being cooled, etc. (consider the fact that a CPU can be cooled by a large heatsink and a small heatsink, running at different temperatures on each one, but it's still producing the same amount of heat).
And also since he is presumably using a case with bad airflow there is more heat inside his case not being exhausted. However, in the end all that heat has to go somewhere.. into your room! Every card with the same TDP will heat up a room evenly to a point, variables being case size, material, room size, etc. etc.