Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2009, 06:04 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Folding on Fermi: 200K PPD????

This looks both exciting and suspicious all at the same time;
+200kppd on single PC? now possible!
Guy says he is using ES versions of the Fermi card, and can get 250K PPD on one machine! (for the non-folders, our whole team currently puts out ~700K).

Here are his EOC stats:
FahMan - User Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats
Nothing one day, then BOOM! 200,000PPD.

F@H stats page:
Folding@Home
Using 211 cores.

Speculation in the thread is that its either a Stanford guy, Evga tech, or some clever nVidia marketing. The guy is using 7 Fermi cards, each getting ~30,000PPD (one card has issues).

If this is true it could change the F@H stats landscape in a hurry. Teams ahead of us, whith many users using CPU folding, could drop off the map very quickly.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; October 13, 2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old October 13, 2009, 06:46 AM
Rookie
F@H

screenshots or this is crap.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If that's true then GT300 will be out by November for sure... this could either be a godsend for Nvidia or a total load of BS.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:51 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

2x 1500w PSU? 2400w pull @ Load? Owch. if that is really just 1 system with 4X GPUs then somethings gone wrong in the efficiency department.

Edit:
Actually he says 7x GPUs... what kind of mobo can hold that? Maybe he means two systems in one case, like a mountain mods or something. Still ridiculous. And Liquid CO2? Forgive me, scientist-types, but doesn't CO2 have to be under extreme pressure to be forced into a liquid state and/or kept extremely cold by artificial means? This whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Science Fiction i believe.
Old October 13, 2009, 08:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The guy's website is down it seems. However, with Fermi, anything is possible.
Old October 13, 2009, 09:00 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The guy's website is down it seems. However, with Fermi, anything is possible.
Fanboy-ism!

C'mon Sky, posting a full technology review for Nvidia but leaving out ATI's Eyefinity section altogether in your initial review? Favortism sir, favortism
Old October 13, 2009, 09:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
2x 1500w PSU? 2400w pull @ Load? Owch. if that is really just 1 system with 4X GPUs then somethings gone wrong in the efficiency department.

Edit:
Actually he says 7x GPUs... what kind of mobo can hold that? Maybe he means two systems in one case, like a mountain mods or something. Still ridiculous. And Liquid CO2? Forgive me, scientist-types, but doesn't CO2 have to be under extreme pressure to be forced into a liquid state and/or kept extremely cold by artificial means? This whole thing doesn't make sense to me. Science Fiction i believe.
2400w... for 7 GPU's.... that works out to roughly 220w per card once you include the C02 cooling and OC'd i7 and especially the loss of efficiency in the PSU. It's on the EVGA 4x SLI mobo which has 7xPCI-E slots (the C02 cooling would allow for single slot) but I thought windows could only support 4 GPU's. Liquid C02 is very cold, hold a can of compressed air upside down and you'll find out. Never heard of it used in a PC though....
Old October 13, 2009, 09:36 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Fanboy-ism!

C'mon Sky, posting a full technology review for Nvidia but leaving out ATI's Eyefinity section altogether in your initial review? Favortism sir, favortism
Eyefinity info was posted in the review a few hours after the release. I had to cut something down in that one.

As for NVIDIA, I find they are going the right direction with CUDA...unlike the direction ATI has gone with Eyefinity on mainstream cards. You and I can contest that point until the cows come home.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:38 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Will have to keep an eye on that thread for a screenie.

Somehow I don't think we should discount what Fermi will do for folding. Most of us won't have Liquid CO2 in our rigs, but I think its entirely possible and likely that we will be posting FaHMon screenshots in the near future with 100K PPD on a single machine.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 13, 2009, 10:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Holy crap, that would be amazing