Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2009, 10:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm pretty sure that for the same cost, you could build 2 or 3 fairly regular computers with 3 or 4 GPUs each and maybe WC and get the same PPD or more than that.
also, liquid CO2 feels funny, I accidentally had a bunch of it spill on my hand when I was screwing around with a can of compressed air.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
also, liquid CO2 feels funny, I accidentally had a bunch of it spill on my hand when I was screwing around with a can of compressed air.
That isn't liquid CO2 afaik... again, not a scientist, lol.

However (thank you wikipedia) CO2 is "liquid at 56 atm and 20 C" (56 atmospheres). And (thank you google calculator) 56 atm = 822.973131 pounds per square inch (PSI).

822 PSI... Right there, I call BS.
Old October 13, 2009, 10:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh man 800 PSI would blow apart your computer. I've never heard of Liquid co2 cooling and can't find any links to anyone else who has tried it. Maybe he meant liquid n2?
Old October 13, 2009, 10:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
That isn't liquid CO2 afaik... again, not a scientist, lol.

However (thank you wikipedia) CO2 is "liquid at 56 atm and 20 C" (56 atmospheres). And (thank you google calculator) 56 atm = 822.973131 pounds per square inch (PSI).

822 PSI... Right there, I call BS.
your right, it is something else, here is the MSDS on it. apparently the boiling point is -25 degrees so ya it is not nearly as cold as liquid CO2, I have also had liquid propane spill on my hand when I was filling a pellet gun.

Old October 13, 2009, 11:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I believe it is very possible they could be using Liquid CO2. After all, Painball guns use Liquid CO2 (although not for cooling) which is why expansion chambers on such guns exist.
Just because they say Liquid , doesn't mean thats how it arrives on the block to cool the cards. They probably have a Cylinder of CO2 hooked into a few special regulators and then when it arrives at the blocks its a gas that is under an endothermic reaction (pulling heat from the surrounding area to evaporate) and thus cooling the GPU's.

We use Liquid CO2 all the time on our Gas Chromatographs at work and thats basically how it is done.
So yeah, I can see them using that, it wouldn't be any more plumbing than doing something like THermaltakes Expressar (Propane Based I think) without the condensor and pump however.

Very cool though, I'd like to see more for sure.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 13, 2009, 11:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Also... CO2 starts to get liquid at 5.1atm which is a much more comfortable 75psi...

Maybe the guy just meant that he's using Dry Ice mixed with alcohol? Nah.... why would he need a cylinder for? We just need to see some pics!
Old October 13, 2009, 11:28 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Also... CO2 starts to get liquid at 5.1atm which is a much more comfortable 75psi...

Maybe the guy just meant that he's using Dry Ice mixed with alcohol? Nah.... why would he need a cylinder for? We just need to see some pics!
Totally. This whole thing is a "pics or it didnt happen" thread.
He could just as easily be BSing everyone and decided to installed F@H on his servers at work, who knows?
Old October 13, 2009, 11:32 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

could you imagine the PPD if he worked at a school and installed F@H on all the clients?

Old October 13, 2009, 02:15 PM
Rookie
F@H

heh it might not be so good if the school is full of second hand computers
Old October 13, 2009, 02:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

heh, if it is the same as my old high school, it would be pretty high since while they may be old, there are close to a thousand of them. and if it were at my current school it would be insane. almost all of the machines are new when they got here and most of them have 9800GTs because it is a graphics and design school where they need the ability to render stuff occasionally.