Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   No progress (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/2374-no-progress.html)

Amon August 24, 2007 04:32 PM

No progress

After about a month of folding, I'm still seeing zero progress; a bit perplexing. I'm positive my user name is unique and that the machine is actually folding.

My user stats: Folding@Home

So what the hell happened? Did my computer just get some insanely complex protein?

sswilson August 24, 2007 04:36 PM

Heh.... yeah a month of folding should have given up some points.... :)

What does your log file say... does it show any completed & submitted WUs?

Amon August 24, 2007 04:45 PM

Hi Wilson,

I forgot to mention that halfway through, I implemented a proxy configuration under the presumption that my router was blocking the incoming work units. I guess it turns out that very same proxy setting may have blocked them altogether. I've taken it off now and will revisit this issue in a week to see if it's helped.

sswilson August 24, 2007 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amon (Post 18084)
Hi Wilson,

I forgot to mention that halfway through, I implemented a proxy configuration under the presumption that my router was blocking the incoming work units. I guess it turns out that very same proxy setting may have blocked them altogether. I've taken it off now and will revisit this issue in a week to see if it's helped.

It shouldn't take a week to know if it's managing to upload WUs.

What client are you running? You should be able to use FAHMon to monitor your progress.

Amon August 24, 2007 05:14 PM

Folding@Home Graphical version 5.03

3.0charlie August 25, 2007 10:47 AM

I don't get it. Graphical version is no-nonsense, barely any options. Unless your rig is unstable, it has to be your connection.

But first I would use the text-only console - much more efficient. Download Folding@Home I know, I have used both graphical and console on my P4 540J single core rig.

Also d/l Fahmon (FahMon Homepage) to keep track of your progress.

In order to setup the text-only console options, follow this guide: How do I reconfigure the console client options? - FaHWiki. Go to Configuration Options.

That's a start. Don't forget to add the Team # - 54196!

John

PS. don't forget to un-install the graphical version first.

pscout August 25, 2007 11:36 AM

also, before converting to the text console from the gui, check your fahlog.txt.

If there is a wu in progress then after stopping the gui client, copy the work directory and queue.dat file to the new directory you put the text version in. That way you will not lose any progress you have made on the current wu.

In general, always answer no to 'use IE proxy'. Very few people use proxies on the home net .... some businesses use them to control employees access to the internet.

Also, post your current log file - fah.log.txt in whatever directory you installed the gui into. Then we can see if there are any other issues.

When you set up the text console use "-verbosity 9" on the startup string so that the client will log the maximum info including info about any connection issues. If you don't know how to do it we can help.

But for now, the priority is to see your current log so we can make sure your setup is right.

When you post the log wrap it in code tags like this:

Code:

log contents

use a quote on this post to see the raw code tags.

Also, i see from your sig that you have a dual core so we will get you optimized and producing big points once we get the basics sorted out.:biggrin:

ps. I will probably be away till sun pm/ mon am but I am sure the others on the team can help you out ... we just need some more info from the log.

3.0charlie August 25, 2007 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pscout (Post 18139)
When you set up the text console use "-verbosity 9" on the startup string so that the client will log the maximum info including info about any connection issues. If you don't know how to do it we can help.

FYI, the FaHwiki.net link I gave in my reply shows how to add startup strings.:thumb:

John

pscout August 25, 2007 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 18143)
FYI, the FaHwiki.net link I gave in my reply shows how to add startup strings.:thumb:

John

Thanks, i hadn't looked at it in a while :biggrin:

3.0charlie August 28, 2007 09:02 AM

Looks like you managed to complete and upload your first WU!:thumb:

Something worked.

John