Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 20, 2009, 10:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I said it once and i will say it again crazy folders ha ha nice farm
Old September 20, 2009, 11:29 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
Quick question - how many of your 295's can your HX1000 power on its own? Just two - or can it do three?

I was running 3 no problem...Didn't want to push my luck with 4 :)

ok so I dropped a 9500 GT into the vista box last night, it folded for awhile but died on a 353 this morning sometime...

XP machine is still perfect.
Old September 20, 2009, 01:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefox View Post
I was running 3 no problem...Didn't want to push my luck with 4 :)

ok so I dropped a 9500 GT into the vista box last night, it folded for awhile but died on a 353 this morning sometime...

XP machine is still perfect.
Oh, THANK YOU for this.

This is really the last shred of proof that I needed in order to know it's Vista causing the problem with some weird naaaastay bug.

I'll be going Windows 7 ASAP. Or XP.
Old September 20, 2009, 02:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Oh, THANK YOU for this.

This is really the last shred of proof that I needed in order to know it's Vista causing the problem with some weird naaaastay bug.

Im still not totally convinced its a pure Vista Problem. (not that I want to defend vista)

what I would like to try next is vista on the MSI setup and see if it fails, as it still could be Motherboard chipset-bios / RAM / OS combinations.

what im thinking is maybe a problem with nvidia chipsets and Vista

But do I want to waste my precious folding time working on proof of the actual problem? Its driving me nuts that I havnt spent the time to narrow it down a bit more.. but it will bug me even more NOT FOLDING during that time

Just picked up a few more 353's on the XP machine and still going strong.. no errors at all yet since starting the 4x295's... this is good news.

I was getting close to trying some goat's blood! as im sure Kruzn and Zlojack came close to trying
Old September 20, 2009, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yep , I have heard other grumbling about vista as a platform for folding.I stick with XP ....Nice and stable.

Especially considering the cost benefit.Fully legit windowsXP pro can be found for free sometimes....

Old September 20, 2009, 02:19 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Oh, THANK YOU for this.

I'm having the same problems with the 353WU and I'm on Vista. I wish I was home during the week so I could watch my rig but I'm six hours away from home at work.
Old September 20, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fefox View Post
Im still not totally convinced its a pure Vista Problem. (not that I want to defend vista)

what I would like to try next is vista on the MSI setup and see if it fails, as it still could be Motherboard chipset-bios / RAM / OS combinations.

Alright then, name the specs of the machine running vista that is dying?

Mine is

AMD 7750 processor
4 gigs of DDR2 8000 Gskill
Gigabyte GA-MA780G-UD3H
GTX2x0 video card (BFG GTX 260)

Should be all we need?
Old September 20, 2009, 02:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikemaul View Post
I'm having the same problems with the 353WU and I'm on Vista. I wish I was home during the week so I could watch my rig but I'm six hours away from home at work.
HMMM

Interesting... so far I see 780 chipset, GTX2x0 card, and dual core processor in common.

Oh, and the motherboard is Gigabyte....
Old September 20, 2009, 02:38 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I folded on Vista 64 (two GPUs) for 10-11 months on various GPUs (ATI initially, then a GTX 260, then two GTX 285s) and had no issues (except for ambitious OCs). This on an Intel P35 chipset, that had no business running two nVidia cards (non-sli). various drivers, and 2-3 different PSUs thrown into the mix over time.

Both rigs in my sig are running Windows 7 64-bit with no hiccups too.

The only benefit I saw for XP over Vista in the past was the 'dummy plug' issue, which I never had an issue with because of the KVM switch I had. Since the last driver update, I have not been using the dummy plug or KVM, so the reason to fold on XP disappeared for me and I haven't looked back since. (knock on wood).

Might have nothing to do with it, but the only things which I do as 'best practices' for folding under Vista/Win7 are:
1. Disable UAC (I do this soon after OS install, and never turn it back on)
2. Always install any app (including folding) by right-clicking, and selecting "Run as Administrator"
3. I add the folding@home app (in the Program Files x86 directory) and the F@H Appdata folder (under "Users") to the exclude options in my antivirus. This way, I hope to avoid my AV messing around with the folding apps.
4. I keep the VMware stuff out of the "Program Files" directory, and into another directory on the C:\ drive. I have read others doing this with the GPU2 and other folding clients as well, but I don't bother.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 20, 2009, 03:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well... come to think of it I've run dual gpus on my p45 motherboard with no issues and running Vista. This machine I'm typing on right now is the P45 machine and it's still folding with one client and no issues.

Now I'm suspecting GTX 2x0 cards with AMD 780 chipset running Vista.