Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 18, 2009, 05:09 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up Get me folding!

Hey everyone - Names KrisMRT new to the forums and would like to join HWCs FAH team.

My primary rig consists of a i7 920 @ 4.35ghz with SLI GTX 275s and a 8600GS for Physx (the 8600 isn`t installed quite yet waiting on my new rig to show up).

I want to get all three of the video cards crunching some proteins with as little headaches as possible.

I`m not aiming for the highest possible (but would like a high) PPD.
I would like to avoid downloading a lot of software to get this working - I try to keep my PC as clean and minimalistic as I can.

Been a long time since I folded, So here`s what I need :

1) Instructions on how to join the HWC team

2) Instructions on which software to download to fold efficiently (I have f@hmon and the standard cpu/gpu client from the nvidia(?) website... I think thats where I got it)

3) Best GPU settings for folding, I`m an experienced overclocker, I just need to know what counts(core, shaders, memory)

4) Anything else I need to know!

My laptop as well as my second rig will be optimized for folding shortly after my primary rig is setup... and most likely a PS3 which I plan on purchasing soon.

I`m counting on you guys! Get me folding!
Case: NXZT Beta SSD: OCZ Agility 30g Secondary HD : WD Caviar black 1TB+WD Caviar green 1TB CPU: AMD Phenom x3 720 Ram : 4GB DDR2 800mhz GPU: Powercolor HD4770 PSU: OCZ stealthstream 600w
Old September 18, 2009, 05:19 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

1. Team 54196
2. Fahmon, VMware Client (follow the sticky), GPU Client (follow this guide: [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - [H]orde Guides).
3. Oc the shaders, and only the shaders.
4. Welcome to the Team. I don't recommend to fold using neither of the lappy and the 8600GS. Too much heat for the laptop, and low ppd for the GS. Need to disable SLI, unless you have the latest nvidia drivers installed. Install 4x the Vmware client, and twice the GPU client.
Old September 18, 2009, 05:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Check out the sticky on the Folding section. That's the first thing you should've done.

Don't fold on the PS3. The PPD on the PS3 is so low it's not even worth running it.
Old September 18, 2009, 05:46 PM
Rookie

I've read the sticky but VMware is a bit more trouble then I was hoping for. The information on it seemed old and I was hoping there was a newer/simpler way to get all my cores folding properly. I rather just use the standard CPU client for now and if the FAH bug bites me good I`l setup VMware later.

GPU questions :
Edit : Reading the GPU client link you posted (somehow missed it on first read)

I`m hoping to help out in the folding department long term - I just don`t want to spend a lot of time setting this up. I want this to be a (relatively) painless experience.

...Once I get home I`l get on setting this up...

I think i`l just split up my gtx 275s between my rigs and have them fold seperately and see how that works out.
Case: NXZT Beta SSD: OCZ Agility 30g Secondary HD : WD Caviar black 1TB+WD Caviar green 1TB CPU: AMD Phenom x3 720 Ram : 4GB DDR2 800mhz GPU: Powercolor HD4770 PSU: OCZ stealthstream 600w

Last edited by KrisMRT; September 18, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old September 18, 2009, 05:59 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

1. the vmware sticky is relatively new, once used it takes about 2 minutes per client to setup. But if you wish to use the classic client, make sure you have the SMP, have a password on your rig (you need one for that client) and have 4 clients running - make sure they all have different IDs.
2. you sure can help, with a rig like yours you'll be in the 25k+ ppd. I had the exact same folding rig about 2 months ago.
3. No need to split the 275s, just install 2 GPU clients and again make sure you assign different IDs.
Old September 18, 2009, 07:02 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Welcome to the Team KrisMRT, Dont forget to request a Tag and enter the F@H contest after you get some points. I still fold with my PS3, I'v done 750 WU (Work Units) with it,It may not be the best at producing PPD, but it still helps. GO CANADA
Old September 18, 2009, 07:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya I find it's pointless to keep folding running on my PS3 since it gets like MAX 1000PPD on a good day and it uses sumthing like 130w (40gb versions and later) and the older models (60gb/20gb version) use something like 200w, when folding on a gpu (depending on model) consumes like 200-300w and gets waaaaay more than even double PPD. Although if you've got a PS3 slim it could still be kinda worth it since it only uses <100w or if you are rich and like to waste money on hydro.

Welcome to forum BTW
Old September 18, 2009, 08:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
Ya I find it's pointless to keep folding running on my PS3 since it gets like MAX 1000PPD on a good day and it uses sumthing like 130w (40gb versions and later) and the older models (60gb/20gb version) use something like 200w, when folding on a gpu (depending on model) consumes like 200-300w and gets waaaaay more than even double PPD. Although if you've got a PS3 slim it could still be kinda worth it since it only uses <100w or if you are rich and like to waste money on hydro.

Welcome to forum BTW
With winter coming the PS3 helps heat up my room. The heat that comes from my PS3 is allmost as good as your baseboard heater and its probably 500-1500w. In the winter If I can keep the chill out of my room using a 200w PS3 thats folding.I thinks that better than a 1000w heater thats just putting out heat and costs 50-80 dollars a month. PS3 probably cost 5-10 dollars a month to run, I'm guessing. I want to get another PS3 so I have 1 always folding and the other to play games on, When I'm gaming I think I should be folding.
Old September 18, 2009, 08:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My buddy folded with his PS3 on and off for about 3 months late last winter. Well, it died on him in May. For the pts it gives you it's not worth it.

As for "heating', I think a base heater is more safe than a folding PS3. Which one do you think could catch Fire ?!?!?!?
Old September 18, 2009, 09:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's another thing I'm worried about when folding on my PS3 is it crapping out on me. No warranty on this thing since I got it off ebay, from someone who got it back from RMA due to faulty bluray diode.

As for heating your room with PS3, that's pretty funny. I'd be worried about leaving it folding 24/7 due to the reason I stated above unless you still have warranty... Why not put your rig in your room, that would heat it up pretty good I bet.

And, I just got home from after 8.5 hours of work (tech support) and try to turn on my main monitor. Hmmm it won't leave the screen saver. Turn on the second monitor and... BSOD(driver_irq_not_less_or_equal)!!!! GRRRRR, I wonder when that happened. It was my uguru utility (uguru.sys). Definately uninstallin that now, although that's the first time I've got a BSOD due to that. Probably missed out on some serious folding action. Oh well.

Last edited by headsh0t; September 18, 2009 at 09:44 PM.