Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 15, 2009, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Second GPU downclocking while folding

I am having trouble keeping the clocks up on my second GTX275. Everything folds along swimmingly and then......suddenly....the gpu downclocks itself to about half rate on the shaders with a corresponding drop in ppd!. This happens despite setting the cards with Precision or Rivatuner. It took me a while to figure out what was happening as it does not show the downclock on either of the programs. The way I noticed it was to link the gpu information onto my G15 lcd screen via Precision which correctly lists the parameters the cards are set at.

The only way (so far) that I can get the clocks back up is to quit the offending client, go in and delete everything in that folder except cudart.dll, client.cfg, and reboot without restarting the client again. After rebooting I start the client and all is well...for a day. I browsed through the folding forums and found a few references to this phenomenon but no cures. Some people suggested that it is a psu problem but I have a 750 watt psu that is pulling 500 watts (according to my Kill-a-watt meter) when everything is crunching. Also suggested was power saving profiles and driver issues but I have everything set to full and have tried drivers from 185.85 to 190.38. I am going to try 190.62 to see if it helps. I have all priorities and affinities set and the machine id #'s are correct. Any insight to this is appreciated!

Oh, can anyone recommend a driver cleaner? How about the one that is displayed on our homepage?

Last edited by stoanee; September 15, 2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old September 15, 2009, 09:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

There is an issue when the core hits a guarded run and the driver reverts to 2D mode. Is that what is happening to you?

If so, there are a few options for hopefully fixing it:

1) Try using the 190.38 or 190.62 drivers, which now have user control over power management mode, so you can set performance/power levels per app - forcing 3D clocks while folding.
2) Try forcing 3D clocks in Rivatuner's overclocking window. You have to enable this feature in the power user tab.
3) If neither of those do the trick, try underclocking your card, lessening the likelihood that the core will hit a guarded run (guarded runs usually happen when a card is overclocked past folding-stable, and unfortunately many cards come from the factory this way).

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old September 15, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh - I almost forgot. This is the solution I used for my 9800GTX+ which was constantly reverting to 2D clocks, and it has worked for me: 9800GTX+ FIX Checkerboard/Pink/Artifacting

Might be worth a shot as well.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old September 15, 2009, 09:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Things View Post
There is an issue when the core hits a guarded run and the driver reverts to 2D mode. Is that what is happening to you?

1) Try using the 190.38 or 190.62 drivers, which now have user control over power management mode, so you can set performance/power levels per app - forcing 3D clocks while folding.
2) Try forcing 3D clocks in Rivatuner's overclocking window. You have to enable this feature in the power user tab.
3) If neither of those do the trick, try underclocking your card, lessening the likelihood that the core will hit a guarded run (guarded runs usually happen when a card is overclocked past folding-stable, and unfortunately many cards come from the factory this way).
Thanks for the input, I just installed the 190.62 drivers and will monitor things. I believe I was hitting the "guarded run" causing the downclocking. I will mess around with the 3d settings to see if I can force them on. Thanks!
Old September 15, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the tip on power management.... I turned mine on to "max performance"

I'm still having a problem with a BFG 260 card.... it won't run 353 pointers. Does everything else fine.

Crap part about it is that when running the RC of Windows 7 it ran everything fine, even overclocked from 596 to 670.

I can't figure out what is pissing it off though....
Old September 15, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:

Updated drivers, still did it. Haven't tried the force power level yet.

Quote:
Trying this as I type, fingers are crossed.

Quote:
I don't think I am mentally capable of underclocking anything!
Old September 15, 2009, 05:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So far forcing the 3d clocks in Riva Tuner is working....*crosses fingers and toes*
Old September 15, 2009, 06:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I ran into the same issue earlier this year. forcing 3d with riva tuner worked, but it also seemed to be an issue with the screen saver / power saving feature.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 15, 2009, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I ran into the same issue earlier this year. forcing 3d with riva tuner worked, but it also seemed to be an issue with the screen saver / power saving feature.
Yes, I have explored all that and always have everything on "full power cap'n!"
Old September 15, 2009, 08:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, gpu2 downclocked after a "guarded run" but this time all I had to do was delete the wu, no reboot. It is folding at full rate again and I have knocked back the shader OC by 5 mhz.