Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2009, 09:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default My Folding is Crippled

So I'm running 1 CPU and 1 GPU client on my Primary and Secondary rig in my signature. First off, the 8800GTOC is doing a great job @ around 6700 PPD. But each of my CPU clients only get around 300 - 500PPD, and my 4870 only does around 2300PPD. I know that the Nvidia client stomps on ATI's, but that's a huge difference. And I'm seeing other people get around the 1.5k - 2.5k PPD mark on their CPU clients. What am I doing wrong?

The worst thing with this is that the 8800 is on the PC my wife uses, so she drops the F@H clients when she does any major work on the PC or plays a game. Not to mention, the stock cooler volume on the 8800 is really loud at max. If I run it overnight, I can hear it clearly from my bedroom down the hall. (Although I'm looking in to a quieter cooling option for this.) So I need to get more out of the rest of my hardware. Although I really don't want to get in to the VMWare, etc. as I'm not quite that crazy about it.

I'm running the standard 'no nonsense' CPU client, and the GPU client listed in Prof's 'Folding Tools' thread. I'm monitoring with FahMon. Unfortunately I'm working until 1am tonight so, if you need a screen of anything, I can't until later.
Old September 10, 2009, 10:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The only thing I can think of is to have you install the SMP client on both your primary and sec. rig, since they are both dual cores. The SMP client will get you higher numbers for sure. Make sure you have the latest GPU drivers installed. In Taskmanager set the FahCore_11(or _14).exe priority to high and see how your numbers are doing. The 8800 looks good and it could be that the ATI is doing a big WU, hence the low PPD.
Old September 10, 2009, 10:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'll check out the SMP client for the CPU's for sure. But as for the 4870, it's funny you mention the big WU, since the 8800 was working on larger WU's when I was comparing them... which makes the difference even more glaring.

Although I was noticing a strange issue with the 4870. FahMon kept flipping from a 'green' status to a 'yellow' status. (Not sure what this indicates.) Although, when this was happening, I checked the display for the fold and where it normally shows my name and team, it gave me another message, something about not monitoring I think. Although I can't remember exactly. I'll have to check when I get home. In most cases, stopping and starting the GPU client would fix this, and when it doesn't, rebooting did the trick.
Old September 10, 2009, 10:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You *need* to get the VM up and running. Hell, I'll set it up for you if I have to, heh
Old September 10, 2009, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
You *need* to get the VM up and running. Hell, I'll set it up for you if I have to, heh
LoL are you trying to extend your folding farm outside your walls? Honestly though, how much gain would I see with the VMWare? And I'm not sure I want to go that route as my PC is primarily used for gaming and such, so I really don't want to be stopping/starting it all the time. As it stands, the CPU/GPU clients are nice and easy to turn on and off.

The other thing is that I can't leave my office window open at night or while I'm not home as I have a security system that monitors the windows as well as the doors. So the office gets crazy hot if I keep everything running 24/7.
Old September 11, 2009, 12:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, the Vmware diskless folding is where it is at for now. I find it is easy to maintain, reliable and easy on the system resources. You should try it.
Old September 11, 2009, 02:24 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

OK, so the error I get on my 4870 is 'Core is not running now'. And interestingly, I came home to the WU listed as *hung*. Does this happen often?
Old September 11, 2009, 04:22 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Use the SMP (high-performance) client on your CPUs. Very easy to start / stop. Though once setup the Vmware client works well too.
The ppd for both 8800 & 4870 are about right.
Slap an Accelero S1 on that 8800 with a YL fan, you'll be surprised how well it works.
Old September 11, 2009, 05:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
OK, so the error I get on my 4870 is 'Core is not running now'. And interestingly, I came home to the WU listed as *hung*. Does this happen often?
For ATI cards, it happpens a lot more and more frequently then Nvidia cards, another reason why most people only fold with nvidia
Old September 11, 2009, 06:30 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Follow this guide to get a little more out of your 4870 and reduce the CPU usage of the ATI client at the same time: GUIDE: ATI Client - Lower CPU % + Raise PPD - [H]ard|Forum