Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 9, 2009, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The heat of the GTX295 will kill something unless you got really great cooling.

As for the best folding setup if cost wasn't an issue....You'd have to ask the others lol. Is this for the ongoing Folding contest?
Old September 9, 2009, 03:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well if money was no object they'd be on LN2. Or at least watercooled into the realms of insanity, lots of rads with maybe some peltiers or something.
Old September 9, 2009, 03:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
Well if money was no object they'd be on LN2. Or at least watercooled into the realms of insanity, lots of rads with maybe some peltiers or something.
Don't you have to refill the LN2 every so often because the nitrogen would evaporate as the CPU and other components heat the nitrogen up? From my chemistry knowledge and google, nitrogen doesn't become a liquid till it's like -196C?
Old September 9, 2009, 03:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

relatively stock as in water cooling and some OCing might be an option but nothing like liquid nitrogen.
also this is because of the contest, it got me interested and wanting to do more once I have a larger spending budget (in a couple years). I want to know where the "sky" generally is for the sky is the limit.
also I am aware that planning a build now would be useless, but it is fun and useful to learn things.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old September 9, 2009, 04:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Don't you have to refill the LN2 every so often because the nitrogen would evaporate as the CPU and other components heat the nitrogen up? From my chemistry knowledge and google, nitrogen doesn't become a liquid till it's like -196C?
If money is no option you would have enough LN2 to fill a lake. You'd have a truck outside your house always. ANd you'd be able to hire someone to pour it. This is the ULTIMATE machine, not most practical.
Old September 9, 2009, 04:29 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bissa View Post
EDIT: what does affect how well a GPU can fold?
Number of shaders, shader speed, and overall GPU architecture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi Warrior View Post
The new Classified 4x SLI mobo with 7 GTX295's with waterblocks and single slot brackets? Or does the mobo not support that many GPU's? Rather have 7 295's over another processor.
There is a limit to how many GPUs you can use in a system altogether. See below for more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fiendo View Post
I think there is a limit of 4 GPUs. I'm not sure if this is Windows or Forceware drivers (or even a hardware issue). It's not an SLI issue (as in SLI will work up to x4 but you can have more graphics cards un-SLI'd), I think more along the lines of actual GPU recognition past 4 of them. I'm probably wrong though. Anyways, I've never seen anyone run 4 GTX 295s without at least 1 core giving them an issue, so I'd personally stick to GTX 285s.
Based on experiments from other users with regards to large multi-GPU setups, this seems to be the conclusion: there is a fundamental limit in Windows that permits only up to eight display outputs. That means that you can use no more than four dual-GPU cards in one system, and even four single-GPU cards would use up that number. Furthermore, Windows Vista sees cards like the GTX295 and 9800GX2 as having three outputs per card due to the separate HDMI port in addition to the two DVI outputs, so that ends up limiting Vista machines to 5 GPUs (the first two dual-GPU cards count as 6 outputs, and one of the GPUs of the third dual-GPU card counts as two outputs). XP doesn't have that problem, so you can fold on up to 8 GPUs under that OS. However, you can't use any more than that.
Old September 9, 2009, 04:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Why not just build a massive server rack with LOTS of dual CPU, 2-3 295's? If you say the cost is limitless then the specs can go to infinity...
Old September 9, 2009, 04:57 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Google Atlas Folder.
Old September 9, 2009, 05:15 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Google Atlas Folder.