Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 5, 2009, 10:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Need some help...

Well I'm going to throw my X2 4400+ (2.4GHz, 2MB L2) into my server along with a 8800GTS 320M Superclocked since they're collecting dust as of now. Better than my single-core 3200+ getting like 1PPD

So I'm wondering what's the best folding software to run? From the looks of it, BIONIC would be the one that could run on both, but does that give credit to the F@H stats? It seems to go to Rosetta @ Home, which I don't know if that's different or not.

Consider me confused :help:

And if it matters, I'm running Server 2003 Enterprise R2 SP2 x86.
Old September 5, 2009, 11:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Boinc is a different project and will not contribute to the Folding @ Home stats (but will contribute to finding a cure).

First step is to download and run the GPU folding program: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...ystray-623.msi This will hardly use your CPU at all.

A good guide to set this up is here: [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - [H]orde Guides

Then follow my guide to monitor how your GPU is folding: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html

After that, you will want to use vmware to use the CPU cycles you have there. You should save that for after you have your GPU folding. Post in here when you are ready for the vmware client.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 6, 2009, 07:27 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Can VMWare be limited to how much CPU usage it will pull? Because it's not a dedicated folding box, so any CPU folding needs to be the last priority. Also I only have 1GB of RAM as it stands, though I'm thinking I should get 2GB in there.

And does it matter if I grab the one you linked (seems mainly for ATI) compared to the one that says its for NVIDIA?
Old September 6, 2009, 08:58 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think you can configure cpu usage under diskless folding, I can't see anything on the configuration page anyways. As far as the gpu client I think the only difference is in the viewer which nobody uses anyway as it is about a 10-15% drain on the gpu folding. I have been using the Nvidia myself.
Old September 6, 2009, 09:40 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
Can VMWare be limited to how much CPU usage it will pull? Because it's not a dedicated folding box, so any CPU folding needs to be the last priority. Also I only have 1GB of RAM as it stands, though I'm thinking I should get 2GB in there.

And does it matter if I grab the one you linked (seems mainly for ATI) compared to the one that says its for NVIDIA?
1GB of system RAM is not enough for folding using a VM, so you should wait until you upgrade to start doing that. If you do get 2GB of RAM in there, you can have the VM automatically run at a low priority by editing the folding.vmx file and changing the lines for "priority.grabbed" and "priority.ungrabbed" to "Idle" like so:
Code:
priority.grabbed = "idle"

priority.ungrabbed = "idle"
The GPU client has one installer, and it will set itself up automatically based on what GPU you have installed in your system.
Old September 6, 2009, 09:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
If you do get 2GB of RAM in there, you can have the VM automatically run at a low priority by editing the folding.vmx file and changing the lines for "priority.grabbed" and "priority.ungrabbed" to "Idle" like so:
Code:

Duh, forgot about that, thanks for the reminder.
Old September 6, 2009, 02:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
1GB of system RAM is not enough for folding using a VM, so you should wait until you upgrade to start doing that. If you do get 2GB of RAM in there, you can have the VM automatically run at a low priority by editing the folding.vmx file and changing the lines for "priority.grabbed" and "priority.ungrabbed" to "Idle" like so:
Code:

The GPU client has one installer, and it will set itself up automatically based on what GPU you have installed in your system.
Yeah I know, I run VMWare Workstation on my desktop for virtualization stuff that I need to do from time to time. I guess I'll throw the 2GB in it then, since it's also collecting dust...

I was just going to set VMWare to lowest priority in task manager, but that's good to know that I can just edit the vmx accordingly instead.
Old September 6, 2009, 02:59 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Code:

I'll be interested to see if this works for someone else using the GPU client. I have always used the Prifinity program to set the priorities, but have been trying this method all day on Windows 7 with no success.
Fold for team #54196
Old September 6, 2009, 04:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I have my 8800GTS 320M folding now using the systray cilent, along with FAHMon setup. As it stands, ~4070PPD. Isn't much compared to some, but better than what my AMD64 3200+ was doing.

Haven't yet swapped CPUs + RAM though so the CPU isn't doing any folding as of now.

One more question, is it worthwhile to overclock my 8800GTS? If so, what should I focus on?
Old September 6, 2009, 04:22 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

OC the shaders, and only the shaders.