Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 3, 2009, 09:07 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

im not running the VM's my twin 295's get about 27-30k PPD

anyone know if there is a big boost using the VM's?

so no idea what made it work? wait I think its a full moon tonight
Old September 3, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Nope, and of course now it's stopped again!...lol...I still think it's the WU...seems whenever all 4 cores are running P5787, 5788, 579x then the one always shuts down...it's very strange

Old September 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

my first BFG 295 was doing crazy things right from day one, couldn't nail down the problem, then one day it it pretty much gave up, sent it off for RMA and the replacement was fine...

maybe you should send it in, or try putting it in the oven first
Old September 3, 2009, 09:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Try running 3 vm's and 4 gpus to see if that will keep your PPD up on the GPU's. If not, try 2 VM's. The PPD from the GPU's is better overall, though, may be worth sacrificing the VM's.

Just RIP and be glad it's not all SNAFU, I gotta go ASAP before I type any more acronyms.
Old September 3, 2009, 09:25 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

A little tip for getting the VMs running alongside your GPU clients without crippling them: download WinAFC from here, and then follow the instructions under "Getting WinAFC ready" over here. Since you're running an i7 CPU, your affinityinput.txt file should look like this:
Code:
*\vmware-vmx.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [assign=2,priority=Idle]

*\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]

*\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]
That should solve your GPU PPD problems while still letting you produce a nice amount of points from those VMs. You'd probably hit about 10k PPD from all four VMs combined when running a2 workunits (which you'll be doing most of the time).
Old September 3, 2009, 09:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LOL!! Gord....yeah, I'm going mess around with it some more when I get some time over the weekend and see if I can't find a nice balance.

fefox: I still don't believe it's the GPU's ...it was working great using a different WU but as soon as that 579x starts up on the last GPU that was opened regardless of what # it is, thats when it craps out. Oh well, as I said, I'll mess with it some more and see how it goes.

Old September 3, 2009, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks Zero...I'll have a look into that for sure when I get time over the wknd. I think I'm gonna call it a nite and just leave the GPU's working for now.

With all this help I just know I'll get it all working nicely soon

Thanks guys

Old September 3, 2009, 11:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
A little tip for getting the VMs running alongside your GPU clients without crippling them: download WinAFC from here, and then follow the instructions under "Getting WinAFC ready" over here. Since you're running an i7 CPU, your affinityinput.txt file should look like this:
Code:
*\vmware-vmx.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [assign=2,priority=Idle]

*\FahCore_11.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]

*\FahCore_14.exe := PAIR0+PAIR1+PAIR2+PAIR3 [priority=High]
That should solve your GPU PPD problems while still letting you produce a nice amount of points from those VMs. You'd probably hit about 10k PPD from all four VMs combined when running a2 workunits (which you'll be doing most of the time).
I think Prifinnity is easier than this, no? It's a gui, you select the processes and add them to your "favorites" list. From there they will be monitored once a minute to make sure the priority is still at what you want it to be.
Old September 4, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hey Kruzn,

I might be wrong here but it looks like you have your 4x VMware clients setup the wrong way.... You have:
1x SMP per two CPU's
1x SMP per four CPU's
1x SMP per two CPU's
1x SMP per four CPU's

This leads to an uneven load for all you cores in your i7, won't it? Since you only have eight virtual cores, shouldn't you have 4x1 SMP per two cores = 8 cores in use at all times :)

Also next time you take a screenie... DON'T BLOCK THE TOTAL PPD!!!
Old September 4, 2009, 10:17 AM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I think Prifinnity is easier than this, no? It's a gui, you select the processes and add them to your "favorites" list. From there they will be monitored once a minute to make sure the priority is still at what you want it to be.
I've never heard of or used that program so I couldn't say. However, WinAFC is pretty easy to set up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. Dr. Silver View Post
Hey Kruzn,

I might be wrong here but it looks like you have your 4x VMware clients setup the wrong way.... You have:
1x SMP per two CPU's
1x SMP per four CPU's
1x SMP per two CPU's
1x SMP per four CPU's

This leads to an uneven load for all you cores in your i7, won't it? Since you only have eight virtual cores, shouldn't you have 4x1 SMP per two cores = 8 cores in use at all times :)
It doesn't really matter if a VM is set to use an instance per two cores or per four cores, since VMWare Player only supports up to two cores per VM. So every client is still using only two cores.