Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Need Suggestions for Folding Rig (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/22501-need-suggestions-folding-rig.html)

redwagon August 29, 2009 06:47 PM

Need Suggestions for Folding Rig

Hey,

I'm looking at setting up a folding machine and checking out this addiction that HWC has. Just bought a couple of 8800 GTS 512 from a fellow HWCer.

Now I'm looking at getting a motherboard and cpu. Do I need a SLI board to maximize PPD? For a cpu, I was looking at a cheap e5200.

For the RAM, will 4 gigs make a difference over 2 gigs?

Any help would be great. Hopefully I can get this setup in the next month.

Perineum August 29, 2009 06:54 PM

2 gigs of ram would be fine. My one folding farm is using 2 VM instances running on a quad core, and 3 GTX2x0 series cards all under Windows XP with no problems.

I actually thought I would need 4, but the numbers don't lie...

Any motherboard with 2 suitable PCIe x4 and up slots would be fine. SLI or Crossfire do not matter.

Perineum August 29, 2009 06:54 PM

.... oh, and you may regret this.... :thumb:

chrisk August 29, 2009 09:57 PM

You don't have to worry about SLI or Crossfire if you are just going to fold with the two cards.

I would actually look for a board in which you have two PCI-E video card slots which are far apart (a tri-SLI/Crossfire board will usualy have this layout, but not always required). The reason being that GPU folding creates a lot of heat, and if you can keep your cards separated by a couple of slots, it will make cooling easier.

Not a requirement, but something to look for if you are trying to decide between a couple of boards.

Perineum August 29, 2009 10:07 PM

Very good point!

crazyhorsejohnny August 29, 2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwagon (Post 247376)
Hey,

I'm looking at setting up a folding machine and checking out this addiction that HWC has. Just bought a couple of 8800 GTS 512 from a fellow HWCer.

Now I'm looking at getting a motherboard and cpu. Do I need a SLI board to maximize PPD? For a cpu, I was looking at a cheap e5200.

Asus P5Q Pro would be a good fit with a e5200. And it often goes on sale at NCIX or Direct Canada. Sometimes free shipping at NCIX.

Arinoth August 30, 2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 247379)
.... oh, and you may regret this.... :thumb:

Oh so true... i mean its the greatest thing to do.

Also, i have 2 rigs with just 2 gigs of ram, one with Win7 and one with Vista (the crap turned off) and they fold just fine

3.0charlie August 30, 2009 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwagon (Post 247376)
Hey,

Just make sure you have a proper PSU for those dual GTSs. If you don't plan on folding with the CPU, I would consider a board with triple 4x (or higher) PCI-e slots to add a third GTS. Those can still fold quite well, and are selling for a low price.

redwagon August 30, 2009 08:39 PM

Thanks for suggestions!

Yea, was looking at getting a board with maybe 4 pcie slots, lol. Do you think my PC Power and Cooling can run 4 8800 GTS 512s (if I can find 2 more)? If yes, I think I might be able to get over 20,000PPD.

I was also reading up on using multiple GPU for folding and read that I might have to make a "dummy" plug for each GPU so that each one actually folds, is that true?

3.0charlie August 30, 2009 08:44 PM

Which PSU to do yo have?
The latest nvidia drivers allow for SLI folding and the use of a dummy plug is not required anymore.

Nice folding rig if you do go for 4 slots...