Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   :New: Questions. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/22257-new-questions.html)

crazyhorsejohnny August 24, 2009 07:04 PM

No $$$$. Once you get hooked it usually costs you $$$$ !!!

3.0charlie August 24, 2009 07:07 PM

Folding allows for a better understanding of cancer cells.

No rep, no benefits, no $$$ involved.

Best rig is an i7 with dual 295s. But some members do run multiple F@H rigs, as folding farms.

A laptop is not recommended, with the heat generated.

Overclocker~4.1 August 24, 2009 07:11 PM

If i want to fold on my GPU's? so what.. I don't have to use them? I can use my CPU? So no monetary gain, why is it hooking? i understand why games and OC'ing are addictive, but why F@H? And excuse my noobness, ppd?

Overclocker~4.1 August 24, 2009 07:11 PM

:New: Questions.

Hey guys, As you can see, I'm new here. As i was lurking and exploring this site i ame accross this forum. It interests me a bit. Altho, I do have a few questions.. now, from what i have read F@H is nothing but protein calculations and such. but I want to know, what is the end result of all these people F@H? is it a simple hobby? something some one decided to make up? Or does it have some sort of real world goal?

Hardware wise, what does it require? what gives you more F@H Horse power? having the best card,proc? or having more of it? like running a skulltrail system with 4 of ATI's best GPU's? Or having a I7 system with 2 290's plugged in? I don't quite understand.

And lastly, What are the benefits? Rep?$$?

Sorry if this is a stupid or inappropriate thread. I am just curious. thanks in advance.

Oh, Last thing. could you get a Laptop to run it?

OC~4.1

Overclocker~4.1 August 24, 2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 244415)
Folding allows for a better understanding of cancer cells.

No rep, no benefits, no $$$ involved.

Best rig is an i7 with dual 295s. But some members do run multiple F@H rigs, as folding farms.

A laptop is not recommended, with the heat generated.

Ah! so it helps in Medical advances, that's reason enough. especially for me. thank you for that answer.

So a F@H program works with multiple GPU's, and uses them? does it do it with SLI or its own software.

Arinoth August 24, 2009 07:16 PM

If you are wanting to fold on your GPUS, you want Nvidia over ATI, more ppd, less error work units

Overclocker~4.1 August 24, 2009 07:44 PM

...Am i posting right? It looks like the forum is all jumbled... sorry if i'm not.

3.0charlie August 24, 2009 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 (Post 244422)
Ah! so it helps in Medical advances, that's reason enough. especially for me. thank you for that answer.

So a F@H program works with multiple GPU's, and uses them? does it do it with SLI or its own software.

Yes, they do use the GPUs, SLI does not work though you can use multiple GPUs. F@H uses its own software.

Overclocker~4.1 August 24, 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 244433)
Yes, they do use the GPUs, SLI does not work though you can use multiple GPUs. F@H uses its own software.

Interesting. So if i had different GPU's The program would use them? as long as the process shaders are all multiples of 2.... right?

Overclocker~4.1 August 24, 2009 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 244440)
No worries. Server issues.

Ok, just wanted to make shure.