Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2009, 06:53 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overclocker~4.1 View Post
...Am i posting right? It looks like the forum is all jumbled... sorry if i'm not.
No worries. Server issues.
Old August 24, 2009, 07:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Interesting. So if i had different GPU's The program would use them? as long as the process shaders are all multiples of 2.... right?
Same manufacturer, same family. GTXs together, and 9 series together for example. Don't mix and match the GPUs, they won't fold.
Old August 24, 2009, 07:02 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Why is that? if the Program doesn't use them in SLI? Or can it only load drivers for 1 set?

And what is PPD?
Old August 24, 2009, 07:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You can't mix-and-match different series. It simply does not work - SLI neither, or even with compatible drivers.

ppd is points-per-day. Every WU (Work Unit) folded is worth an amount of ppd. And we calculate our performance using an app called Fahmon that translates the WU's points into ppd.
Old August 24, 2009, 08:04 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Ah, ok that makes sense. So can it only use GPU's?
Old August 24, 2009, 10:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
now, from what i have read F@H is nothing but protein calculations and such. but I want to know, what is the end result of all these people F@H? is it a simple hobby? something some one decided to make up? Or does it have some sort of real world goal?

OC~4.1
Stanford university is using all our PCs to solve complex math problems that would take 1 PC 30 years to solve but with thousands of PCs working on the question it only takes days to solve it.To some it is a hobby and might just fold under their name and not have a team but to others a game where teams try to get as much points as they can to get higher up the ladder of teams and some do it just to help research in hopes to cure cancer and might not even use a username or team.I think of it as a game that is trying to cure cancer that turned into a hobby that is very addicting. This might help tell you more about F@H Folding@home - Main
Old August 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Very cool. it has all aspects really.. What are the performance drawbacks? I assume you can't do anything too intense while running this program. Does it eat up bandwith?
Old August 24, 2009, 11:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I pause my GPU when i play COD4 but i leave my CPU folding because it only uses about 25% of it.It only takes a few seconds to get a WU(Work Unit) ,while your PC is working on the WU you do not have to be hooked up to the net ,but to send back the results you have to be on the net and that only takes a few seconds to.
Old August 24, 2009, 11:14 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Very cool. it has all aspects really.. What are the performance drawbacks? I assume you can't do anything too intense while running this program. Does it eat up bandwith?
The time it takes to transmit your results and downlod a new WU are very minimal. Most of the time the GPU is just crunching away in the background for hours before a result can be transmitted.
Your normal work is not usually affected by the GPU working away and you can set the Folding@home app to a low priority so as not to affect your tasks.
I usually pause folding when I'm going to play a game anyways.
...or what badatcards said
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old August 24, 2009, 11:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by badatcards View Post
I pause my GPU when i play COD4 but i leave my CPU folding because it only uses about 25% of it.It only takes a few seconds to get a WU(Work Unit) ,while your PC is working on the WU you do not have to be hooked up to the net ,but to send back the results you have to be on the net and that only takes a few seconds to.
.. So, you don't need a GPU to fold? your CPU can do it? I assume i would get some good PPD's out of my rig if i set it up eh? And thats good to hear it dosent eat bandwith, i love my BF 2142 game.

Maybie i will try out F@H for a month or 2. From what i have read the GUI based interfase isnt as good as the text one. am i right?