Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2009, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding under VMWare help

Hey, so I'm trying to setup F@H in VMWare by following the stickied guides in this forum, I've tried both but neither works. When I load the folding virtual app it boots up normally until it says "wait 10 seconds to detect usb" or whatever and then after it says something like "address not found www.standford.edu" or something like that and gives an error. I'm not sure exactly what it says cause I'm not at home right now but when I am I'll give more details? Does anyone know why this is happening? I also tried running VMWare as administrator. I'm using Vista SP1 x64.
Old August 18, 2009, 09:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Are you running some kind of VPN, such as hamatchi? Can you give a screenshot of your problem since i think it may be vmware using the wrong network.
Old August 18, 2009, 09:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Are you connected to the internet? It could also be that the server on Stanford's side is down... :(

Restart your VM app and see if it still happens...
Old August 18, 2009, 09:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes I have to reset several times before it all starts working. Ypu can find the "reset" button on the drop down menuu on the player itself.
Old August 18, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you might be right Arinoth about it using the wrong network, but I'll have to check that when I get home in like 20 minutes. I could post a screenshot at that time as well. And yes, I am connected to the internet lol. I've also restarted it several times and tried editing the file like in the EVGA guide but still nadda.
Old August 18, 2009, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ok I thought you could select the device for the network but nvm. It's set to Bridge BTW. I've tried running it with the firewall down and there is an exception made for VMware. Are there any ports that need forwarding for some reason?? WTF am I doing wrong. Here's a screenie:

Name:  VMWARE.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  57.0 KB
Old August 18, 2009, 10:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Your problem is what i ran into. Its none of the reasons you think, are you running a VPN or hamachi, or a program like that? If you are, for some reason Windows and VMWare think to use that adapter rather then your actual NIC assigning it an address it can't go through your NIC with. If you disable that VPN/hamachi adapter you'll go through your NIC and your problem should be solved
Old August 18, 2009, 10:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
disable that VPN/hamachi adapter
Bingo. You were right but I forgot I even had hamachi installed lol. Disabled it and it grabbed the correct IP. Shoulda realized when it was grabbing that strange IP. I think this might also solve another problem I was having trying to opt-in for the SC2 beta and it wasn't sending my system info, thanks man!! Time to fold away! Oh my hydro bill was ~$40 extra this month... wonder why :)
Old August 18, 2009, 10:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No problem, glad i could help as it took me a while to figure out/realize this problem myself and want to help people limit their lost folding time by carrying on this quick fix knowledge