Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2009, 09:22 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Questions about folding

I'm still what I would call new to folding, I don't really know a lot about it or how to improve and am just looking for some help without wrecking my computers.

[See below for computer specs]

Right now I have all 3 computers only running the GPU client and thats it.

Should I run the CPU one as well or will that put my computers at risk? I'm already putting out not bad PPD I believe I'm like 13th for HWC at this present time.

I don't know or have anything else installed other then the GPU Client and its not the console one.

Any feedback or ideas would be great and please remember I'm not rich I worked hard for whta I have and got pieces here and there to build these machines so I really don't want to wreck them or take years off their life lol!

So anything that could risk them I'd rather not do!

Thanks in advance for any help! (Last but not least I've never OC'ed anything so everything is at stock)

Comp1 (Mine) : ASUS P9X79 LE, 3960X, 16GB Corsair Vengence 1333, PNY 770 4GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB, OCZ Vertex3 480GB, 600GB VelociRaptor, Corsair 1000HX, Cool Master Cosmos 2

Comp2 (Wife's) : ASUS Sabertooth P67, i7 2700K, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866, 1TB HD, 2TB HD, EVGA 660, Corsair 1000HX, HAF 922

Comp3 (Kids) : ASUS P8P67 Pro, i7 2700K, 8GB 1866 GSkill, Gigabyte 770, Crucial M4 120GB, OCZ Vertex3 240GB,1TB WD Black, Antec 850W, Antec 120
Old July 30, 2009, 09:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

CPUs are supposedly designed to ran at 100%, its just that most people/applications don't really push a cpu to its fullest potential like folding or other cpu intensive long term tasks. Goes the same with OCing a cpu, most can be OC'ed a bit before needing to replace the stock heat sink since they are typically "underclocked" from their stock potential to keep temps down. As long as your load temp for each of your cpus is a safe level (not really close to the TJMAX of the chip) there is no real reason why any of your components should die under normal wear and tear. Myself i am folding with my gpu and 4 instances of my cpu (8 cores, 4 from hyper threading), i have everything well below my "worry" temps and i have gotten to the point i let it fold 24/7, occasionally turning off/pausing it if i want to play a video game or if the gpu fold is lagging my movie too much (which vlc fixed in their new patch). Next on the block for myself is getting folding onto my old e6400 CPU into my g/f's computer and OC the sucker to get the most pdd i can for what i have.
Old July 31, 2009, 12:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Myself i am folding with my gpu and 4 instances of my cpu (8 cores, 4 from hyper threading), i have everything well below my "worry" temps and i have gotten to the point i let it fold 24/7...
How do we know the "worry temps" of our stuff? And what program do you recommend to monitor our CPU's? And how would I use all 4 of my cores to fold with?

Thanks! If you can point me to an FAQ or forum thread, that'll make me happy too, I know these questions may already have been answered, just hard to find them.
Ram: OCZ PC2-8500 DDR2 Reaper 2x2GB
VID: EVGA GeForce GTS 250 1Gb 256bit GDDR3
HDD: Western Digital 640Gb 7200rpm Black
DVD: LG DVDRW 22x
Monitor: LG W2353 23" LCD (Full HD)
Old July 31, 2009, 01:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
How do we know the "worry temps" of our stuff? And what program do you recommend to monitor our CPU's? And how would I use all 4 of my cores to fold with?

Thanks! If you can point me to an FAQ or forum thread, that'll make me happy too, I know these questions may already have been answered, just hard to find them.
Once your equipment stops responding properly or just switches off... you should start to worry! LOL... Just kidding.... "worry" temps are usually high up there... but it differs from everybody.... On stock cooling.... for a CPU I wouldn't go higher than let's say 70-75C... for a GPU I let it go all the way up to 100C. But that's me.... :)

You should definitely use all the computing power you have for F@H & HWC! The more PPD the better. Use the VMware guide in our forums to setup your quadcore :)

As for risk.... I don't see any risks while folding... as long as you keep an eye on your temps in the beginning.... just remember... your hardware can handle quite a bit of punishment! GOOD LUCK!
Old July 31, 2009, 01:56 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Cool, thanks. I'll look into VMWare in a couple weeks, when I get back from vacay. I leave in about 12 hours, and I've been up allllll night trying to get the SMP client installed properly so my system will be wracking up more points while I'm away, the STD client was retardedly low points compared to my GPU client.

Anyway, the installation is complicated as hell, but there's some good tutorials out there. I am following this one:
Folding@home - WinSMPGuideDEINO

but when I get to the Configuration steps (client configuration in the tutorial, not Deino configuration), nothing happens. I type "fah6 -configonly -smp" and it says this should happen "The client will display some information and then prompt you for answers to configuration questions. Note that for most answers, the default setting is the recommended setting. Here is an example of what is displayed on screen, with an explanation of each option:" but nothing happens. I tried to uninstall it to try it again (the first time I did it wrong because I didn't have a password on my user account) and after uninstalling, Windows tells me something stopped working, trying to fix problem...etc, and it does this for several things, like the manage credentials or credentials score or whatever. Maybe that's the problem, but I don't know how to find/uninstall those things.

Please help, I will post this in a new thread as well, since this is a time sensitive thing and I would love to have it running for my vacay, as I'm sure the rest of the team would too! ;)

Oh, also, am I trying the right client? I see the installation for "Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 6.23 beta for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit)" seems easier, but I read that the one I am trying (Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 6.23 beta for Deino MPI (32-bit only)) is supposed to have better results. My system is x86 I think, which means 32 bit, right?

Old July 31, 2009, 09:47 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post

I took a screen shot of my 2nd desk top and these programs i usually have running to keep track of temps .With EVGA Percision you can ajust the GPU fan speed,My brother told me Never move the Core Clock or Memory Clock,but the Fan Speed i can turn up or down.Speed Fan 4.37 keeps track of both GPU and CPU Temps but I dont ajust anything their,just watch the temps.FahMon keeps track of WU information and PPD,if something F***S up or it cant send or recieve WU info the log will tell you whats happening.sometimes it helps to take a screen shot of it (LOG)and post it with your question so people can see whats going on.I try to keep my GPU under 75*c but iv herd its good to 100*c,The CPU has never gone over 55*c that i can think of but im not running th VM client but i herd it good till 70*c-80*c
Attached Images

Old July 31, 2009, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks man, that's what I've heard too from other users, and thankfully they've set me up right in that range.