Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Crazy GPU PPD, Crap CPU PPD, help please (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/21351-crazy-gpu-ppd-crap-cpu-ppd-help-please.html)

Taz July 30, 2009 11:57 AM

Crazy GPU PPD, Crap CPU PPD, help please

Hey all, I have a client installed for my CPU and GPU, and installed Fahmon yesterday and have it all set up. Today I checked it to get an idea of my PPD, and this is what it says:

GPU: 4088.00*
CPU: 250.84

When I check my Task Manager - Performance it says I am never at than 25-45% CPU Usage and 1.80 GB average reading under Memory (I have 4 GB installed). Any suggestions? Is this normal?

Also, the back of my case where my gpu is attached on the inside is quite warm to the touch, should I give it a break, or is this normal? Is it safe to run both processors all night/all day?

EDIT: Also, I am going to be on vacation for 2 weeks straight (16 days actually), is it safe for my system to leave it folding on both processors for that time? I don't have money to replace anything if it craps out soon...lol

3.0charlie July 30, 2009 02:14 PM

You probably installed the STD client, instead of the High-performance SMP client.
Yes, you can leave it run, just make sure the temps are well under control.

geokilla July 30, 2009 03:35 PM

Lol STD client.

Anyways, I'd just like to add that you could also considering using the Notfred or some sort of VMware/Linux client instead. This allows you to fold more efficiently than the Windows SMP client due to the use of A2 cores.

Taz July 31, 2009 12:57 AM

I'll look into VMWare in a couple weeks, when I get back from vacay. I leave in about 12 hours, and I've been up allllll night trying to get the SMP client installed properly so my system will be wracking up more points while I'm away, the STD client was retardedly low points compared to my GPU client.

Anyway, the installation is complicated as hell, but there's some good tutorials out there. I am following this one:
Folding@home - WinSMPGuideDEINO

but when I get to the Configuration steps (client configuration in the tutorial, not Deino configuration), nothing happens. I type "fah6 -configonly -smp" and it says this should happen "The client will display some information and then prompt you for answers to configuration questions. Note that for most answers, the default setting is the recommended setting. Here is an example of what is displayed on screen, with an explanation of each option:" but nothing happens. I tried to uninstall it to try it again (the first time I did it wrong because I didn't have a password on my user account) and after uninstalling, Windows tells me something stopped working, trying to fix problem...etc, and it does this for several things, like the manage credentials or credentials score or whatever. Maybe that's the problem, but I don't know how to find/uninstall those things.

Please help, I will post this in a new thread as well, since this is a time sensitive thing and I would love to have it running for my vacay, as I'm sure the rest of the team would too! ;)

Oh, also, am I trying the right client? I see the installation for "Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 6.23 beta for MPICH (32-bit or 64-bit)" seems easier, but I read that the one I am trying (Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version 6.23 beta for Deino MPI (32-bit only)) is supposed to have better results. My system is x86 I think, which means 32 bit, right?

And lastly, what's a good program to monitor CPU temps?

Taz July 31, 2009 07:22 AM

Scratch that, on some people's recommendation I've gone with the VMware for now. Wondering about CPU monitoring apps, what's best, and how I can find optimal/safe temps for my specific gear though, and if it's okay to elave it running at max for 2 solid weeks??

chouchou July 31, 2009 05:37 PM

Realtemp 3.0 is a good monitoring tool. Most accurate (.. well to what i've heard..). has given me good readings so far