Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 9, 2007, 02:25 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Memtest right now.

E2140 1.45V @ 3.0. Can't go any higher than 375Mhz. Whatever Volts I give it.
Mushkin PC2-6400 @ 468MHz 4-4-4-15 2.1V.
Old August 9, 2007, 03:13 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

If the only difference between the p35-ds3l and ds3r is the ichr9 then ds3l is definitely the best choice. the p35 chipset should help get the best oc including any cpu upgrades you may get in the furture.

My only potential concern is the onboard nic working in ubuntu. Although a cheap pci nic will work around it. I am gonna try ubuntu 7.10 on my ds3r to see if it resolves the problem ... I do not have the time/patience atm to try compiling a linux kernel to try new drivers.

Despite my onboard nic issues, i still favor the gigabyte p35's over the asus.

Also, check that mem will work ok on the gigabyte ... i have found the all my asus mobo's will work with any memory i have including stuff that won't work on the gigabytes I have.

Last edited by pscout; August 9, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
Old August 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

I'm trying out the Gigabyte right now with a Pentium D 940 @ 4ghz.

The memory seems to be fine so far and I think i'll end up using XP on an old HDD instead of Linux.
Old August 9, 2007, 06:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My Mushkin EM PC2-6400 loves that P35 chipset. It's doing 468MHz at 4-4-4-15-38 with 2.1V, even though it rated for 5-5-5-18-42 1.8V...

For 94$, that mobo is a steal.
Old August 9, 2007, 07:26 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

You will get get better smp production running linux. In fact, you will get better production running linux under vmware on wxp than running the native win smp client.

I can point you at some threads if you are interested. In fact I may try running it too if i can't get ubuntu native to use the onboard nic. VMware provides a virtual environment for linux so it should have no issues since wxp runs the nic.

It's a little more complex running the extra software layer for vmware, and the main reason i stopped running it was that there were big issues with it running on 900d's. A lot of smp folders run this way since it keeps wxp native for their non folding apps ... although to maintain wxp usability they often need to adjust vmware priority since the folding client's ability to run at idle priority is lost when running under vmware.
Old August 9, 2007, 09:56 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

This is strictly going to be a folding machine and my goal is a folding farm of approx. 20 machines so i'm looking for the best setup to run those machines as well as be able to remotely monitor all of them.

I guess I'm going to need a little more expert advice.
Old August 9, 2007, 10:34 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

If you are going to go for that size of farm, i would recommend going for core density ... ie quads. You will save a lot more on components and power by running 10-15 quads than you would by going for 20 4 MB cache dual cores and produce the same ppd. The extra psu's, mobo's, memory, hdd's, good hsf's and cheap pci video add up and are the same cost whether you run DC or quad. Also fewer kvm's with fewer rigs. Some try to run headless and or diskless but it can be a real pita to setup and maintain and may be oc limiting.

The ds3l should run a quad nicely when you get one. My ds3r is running a GO q6600 at 370x9 running 1 smp instance in wxp is producing ~ 3000 ppd with the current wu mix it gets ... in ubuntu it could be as low as 3k ppd on the worst wu's, ~ 3500 with the same wu as in wxp, and as high as 4k ppd running 2 instances with the best ppd wu's.

A well oc'ed 4mb cache c2d will get as high as 2500 ppd in ubuntu but probably average just over 2k ppd. The newest e6850 will probably be a bit higher, but still less than a lower oc'ed quad at similar prices.

The lower cache size c2ds are really not the best value in terms of ppd if you are going to build a lot of them like 20. 5-6 quads will likely outproduce them and be cheaper to buy and operate. They are good choices if you are budget constrained and can only build a few over time.

ubuntu is ideal for a farm since it is free.
Old August 10, 2007, 10:48 AM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

NCIX is being nice enough to donate some hardware for these machines for our folding team but as such it has to be slightly older hardware that isn't moving.

Maybe quad cores one day.
Old August 10, 2007, 01:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

A farm with 20 rigs. Are you aware of the cost of electricity for such a setup?

I'm surprised NCIX is willing to help us, since they already have a folding team.

They're 35th BTW...

Last edited by 3.0charlie; August 10, 2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old August 10, 2007, 03:39 PM
Administrator
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
A farm with 20 rigs. Are you aware of the cost of electricity for such a setup?

I'm surprised NCIX is willing to help us, since they already have a folding team.

They're 35th BTW...
Ya, the NCIX team is doing really well.

Maybe HC's can catch them one day. The race is on!