Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 8, 2009, 06:09 PM
Top Prospect

Default About folding

I'm curious about how folding works. I've seen so much on forums about it, but really never got into it. I know it is basically about helping medical science with finding out proteins fold in the human body.

Will I need a dedicated computer to fold? If I just want to fold like while I'm sleeping, do I get any special tag on this forum or something?

Also does folding place a big load on my system? My system isn't entirely stable so I'm worried about how it will react to being put on load for long periods of time... I've read up a little bit and it seems that the computer is using 100% of processor cycles to do this.

Any more information I should know?

TIA
Old July 8, 2009, 09:16 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Any computer can fold, but us addicts do have dedicated rigs to the Cause (see sig).
If you fold for the Team, you do get a special tag, like the one under my addy.
Folding is the best app to verify if a rig is stable - unfortunately for you. But once stable, you can throw anything at that rig and it will take it.
Folding uses 100% of the cycles, be it the CPU or the GPUs. You need proper cooling, and good components.
Old July 16, 2009, 07:33 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0pelley99 View Post
I'm curious about how folding works. I've seen so much on forums about it, but really never got into it. I know it is basically about helping medical science with finding out proteins fold in the human body.

Will I need a dedicated computer to fold? If I just want to fold like while I'm sleeping, do I get any special tag on this forum or something?

Also does folding place a big load on my system? My system isn't entirely stable so I'm worried about how it will react to being put on load for long periods of time... I've read up a little bit and it seems that the computer is using 100% of processor cycles to do this.

Any more information I should know?

TIA
F@H with a GPU overnight while you sleep would be great.And no you dont have to dedicate your PC full time. i only pause my GPU if i'm going to game.I only run one client on my CPU and it runs 24/h a day(150-700ppd). You should put your rig info in your sig so we know what your running. maybe someone can help you make your rig more stable.If you join the team and as soon as your first WU registers on the score board you can request a F@H tag.