Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2009, 01:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Going to start folding soon

I figured to do some folding on the rig in my sig when i'm at work (well more when i'm at school) and i was wondering/debating on waiting till i'm in residence this fall to fold or start now. The debate is my parents (mom) are a all about trying to be green and like their electrical bill to be low, so would it be a good/better idea to make them happy and just wait till the fall. Also, is it smart of me to fold on the same rig i use for everything else?
Old July 2, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If your computer is left on when you're at school/work, you might as well leave it on so you can do some folding on it. Note that it will consume say 100W more per computer if you fold because your CPU and GPU would be under load. This means that more electricity will be used and your electricity costs will be higher. However, the increase in electricity costs shouldn't be more than $5 to $10 per computer system.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Folding would be lots of fun..tell your mom that the folding is contributing to finding a cure for cancer and alzheimers!
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2009, 02:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Folding would be lots of fun..tell your mom that the folding is contributing to finding a cure for cancer and alzheimers!
Already did that, was one of my justifications in getting a new rig as well. I do leave my computer on when i'm not using it when at home, could easily leave it on overnight (i get to work overnight shifts at walmart this summer hurray!) and have it fold, i just dont want to hear my mom ask why the hydro bill is a lot higher then pre-folding.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
so would it be a good/better idea to make them happy and just wait till the fall. Also, is it smart of me to fold on the same rig i use for everything else?
Folding with the rig in your sig, I dout you would notice the difference in your electicity bill, I'd say something like $5 monthly difference, but again it wouldn't be too noticable. So I'd say fold away. Its fine to fold with the rig you use for everything else. The only time I would suggest pausing your folding (just close the application, it will save what you've done) is if you are gaming or using apps that will require a lot of memory & cpu. Otherwise you shouldn't notice it!

For your set up I'd use the vmware set up and a gpu set up!
Old July 2, 2009, 02:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_di2 View Post
Folding with the rig in your sig, I dout you would notice the difference in your electicity bill, I'd say something like $5 monthly difference, but again it wouldn't be too noticable. So I'd say fold away. Its fine to fold with the rig you use for everything else. The only time I would suggest pausing your folding (just close the application, it will save what you've done) is if you are gaming or using apps that will require a lot of memory & cpu. Otherwise you shouldn't notice it!

For your set up I'd use the vmware set up and a gpu set up!
vmware and myself aren't on the greatest terms right now. Last year of school we used vmware on P4 machines with 1 gig of ram to emulate linux and man it was slow as anything. I thought vmware was also going out of business and the only thing i don't want to do is figure out (i know there are guides) in how to set up and getting myself rolling with folding
Old July 2, 2009, 02:30 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
vmware and myself aren't on the greatest terms right now. Last year of school we used vmware on P4 machines with 1 gig of ram to emulate linux and man it was slow as anything. I thought vmware was also going out of business and the only thing i don't want to do is figure out (i know there are guides) in how to set up and getting myself rolling with folding
Thats a shame...that 920 you got there is good for ~6-7000 ppd if memory serves me right, which is absolutely crazy for a cpu. I covet it badly...
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2009, 02:30 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Thats a shame...that 920 you got there is good for ~6-7000 ppd if memory serves me right, which is absolutely crazy for a cpu. I covet it badly...
Eh vmware as just a pain on the systems at school. Its more getting the motivation to set it all up so that when i go to work (even tonight) i could start folding. Damn my current laziness since i've only been awake for about 2.5 hours.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:38 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The good thing with the folding vmware setup in the sticky on this forum is that the virtual machine is all setup for you. You just have to enter your info, and adjust the amount of ram dedicated. You also need to use priffinity to make sure the vmware client doesn't steal resources from the GPU client.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2009, 02:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well i'm going through the vmware setup sticky right now. How much ram should i dedicate (remember rig is in sig). And you lost me on the priffinity part and stealing resources from the gpu client, i am confused