Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 2, 2009, 02:54 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Takes about 7 minutes to setup a folding rig using the vmware clients.
Assign 1150Mb per Client.

Use Prifinitty only if you Fold using the GPU client too.
Old July 2, 2009, 02:56 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Ram: use 1152mb for each instance. You will be running 4 instances if you want max PPD (each vmware instance running will utilize 2 cores, and with the 920 and hyperthreading, you can run 4 instances)

prifinnity: the vmware client will steal cpu cycles that the gpu client will need. Thus, the vmware client needs to be set to a lower priority than the gpu clients. See the bottom of this post: Boost Your PPD with VMWare - Look inside for easy guides!

edit: ninja'd by 3.0. You should be folding with your 260 if you are going to fold, hence my advice to use priffinity. That 260 alone will be almost as good as an Oced 920.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2009, 03:04 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This is what is a pain in the ass sometimes, i followed/understood the guide with VMware, but where do i register/set/get my username for all of this and what do i use for the GPU folding as well (i followed the first guide)
Old July 2, 2009, 03:10 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Start with the gpu folding first for a few days if you have not done it yet. Then take a crack at the vmware.

have you folded successfully with the gpu setup yet?
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2009, 03:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I was trying to setup/do with whatever the Boost your PPD with VMWare guide was saying to do, is there a different one for the gpu?
Old July 2, 2009, 03:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The vmware setup has nothing to do with the gpu setup, only that when running the vmware client and gpu client at the same will slightly interfere with each other. Vmware is for the cpu only, where the gpu folding has different software.

When you mentioned the 'username' thing a couple of posts back that got me wondering if you had done any folding yet. If you had not, I was going to take a few steps back in this process, and guide you from the start with the gpu folding, and forget the vmware thing for now until you get gpu folding going properly. That way, the process will be less confusing, and I'll know where you are in the folding learning curve.

Have you folded with the gpu yet? If not, I'll help you with that first, show you how to monitor it, and then after a few days, we can get ya on the vmware.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2009, 03:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I am completely new to folding, actually never had heard of it before joining these great forums. Just installed cuda so i am restarting (have the gpu client downloaded and installed)

Edit: I am in the HWC irc room if that is easier/less clutter on the forums
Old July 2, 2009, 03:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Already did that, was one of my justifications in getting a new rig as well. I do leave my computer on when i'm not using it when at home, could easily leave it on overnight (i get to work overnight shifts at walmart this summer hurray!) and have it fold, i just dont want to hear my mom ask why the hydro bill is a lot higher then pre-folding.
Just tell her it's that damn AC! By the time they stop using it you'll be gone and it'll work perfectly :D Or you could offer to pay for the hydro.
Old July 2, 2009, 04:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
I am completely new to folding, actually never had heard of it before joining these great forums. Just installed cuda so i am restarting (have the gpu client downloaded and installed)
Wicked!

1. Just to make sure, you have downloaded this client:
http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...ystray-623.msi
The above is the "High-performance GPU client" , often called the System Tray client. This client will show a small folding icon in your system tray (ie. next to the clock). There is another client called the "Console Client" which i did not link to, which does not put the icon in the tray, but works in a command prompt window instead.

2. Follow this excellent guide here: [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - [H]orde Guides
Every step is laid out very good in that guide.

3. As for your folding username, there is no sign-up. You just enter it in the client and the points go to that account. Good news for you, your username Arinoth is not being used. I checked it here: http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/...type=userstats

Again, there is no sign-up...just enter Arinoth into the username field of the software you downloaded.

4. Now you have some folding happening after the guide was followed in Step 2 above, you want to monitor how its going. Follow this guide I have created here: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html

Use the FahMon program in step 4 above to monitor your progress. Don't use the folding icon next to your tray, as its buggy and slows down the process.

After this is done and you are comfortable that your rig is folding-stable, we will work on maximizing PPD via GPU OC, etc. later on.

Some terms to know to get started:

PPD - Points Per Day. The higher you go, the better it is. Your GTX 260 should manage 5000 PPD at stock. This does depend on the stuff your GPU is working on, so it can fluctuate.

WU - Work Unit. This is the data sent to your computer, that is worked on, and sent back to Stanford University. There are different point values for these. A 768 point WU will get you 768 points when submitted on time. FahMon (see step 4 above) wil tell you how many days you have to get it done. The 511 point WU is hated by folding people, as they really stress out your system, and slow down and thus reduce, your points per day.

FahMon: Folding at Home Monitoring program. Used by many to see how their computer is coping with folding, and other info. A competitor program is called FahSpy, which is better in many ways, and offers much more information. For now, I recommend FahMon to start, as it just gives you the info you really need to start.

Shader: this is a part of the GPU which does much of the folding work. If you want the most PPD out of your video card, overclocking the shaders is the best way to go. To overclock the shaders, RivaTuner is good, or an overclocking program offered by your video card maker.
Fold for team #54196
Old July 2, 2009, 04:16 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Loads of help, got my GPU folding going right now on the basic settings

Edit: What are safe/normal folding/high usage temperatures for the GTX260 then?

Last edited by Arinoth; July 2, 2009 at 04:25 PM.