Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2009, 08:08 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Updated Win SMP Client - Old One Expires July 04 2009

Stanford has released an updated client for Win SMP.

I installed it right over the old one with no ill effects so far, of course make sure you stop the client first. YMMV...

From this thread at the F@H Forums: Folding Forum • View topic - 6.24R3 windows SMP client released --Expiration July 4, 2010
Quote:
by kasson Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:08 pm
We have posted the drop-in replacement binary for the windows v6 client. This can be found at:
http://www.stanford.edu/~kasson/folding ... 32-x86.exe
MD5 checksum: 5c14c566e11b69273477d7ca102c40c4

Refreshes of the full packages will follow.

This client has only minor modifications from the 6.23 client (it is near-identical to the 6.24 client currently released for Linux and OS/X). We are anticipating a major set of changes to the SMP client over the next several months, but we aren't quite there yet. Keep your eyes out for updates. (There are some big improvements to the SMP cores underway, and they will necessitate some new client code.)

As stated in the thread title, the 6.24R3 client will expire July 4, 2010. Assuming our new SMP cores are on schedule, you may wish to upgrade earlier, however, as we hope to phase out the SMP A1 core as we switch to the new future cores. But we'll release more details when the new software is released (date TBD--development is still ongoing).

Thanks for contributing to the project!

Last edited by LCB001; June 27, 2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old June 27, 2009, 08:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'd sure like to get new windows clients that are much friendlier to use and install.

From what I've seen the SMP clients need you to have a login pass... some people don't like that. Then the VMware clients "out PPD" those windows clients anyway, so it's a lose-lose.
Old June 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
I'd sure like to get new windows clients that are much friendlier to use and install.

From what I've seen the SMP clients need you to have a login pass... some people don't like that. Then the VMware clients "out PPD" those windows clients anyway, so it's a lose-lose.
I've found the Win-SMP client to be basically set-and-forget and more stable than the GPU client, and the login dosn't bother me since my rigs run 24/7 except for a bi-weekly dusting...

Old June 27, 2009, 09:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, but you still take a PPD loss... and people that I know that run the clients don't like having to log in.
Old June 27, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
I've found the Win-SMP client to be basically set-and-forget and more stable than the GPU client....
I have found quite the opposite. I gave up on Windows SMP clients a while ago. I could not get them to run reliably. VMWare clients do much better and I have had no trouble with GPU clients.
Old June 27, 2009, 10:02 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I have found quite the opposite. I gave up on Windows SMP clients a while ago. I could not get them to run reliably. VMWare clients do much better and I have had no trouble with GPU clients.
I've heard alot of folks say that and I'm not sure why I haven't encountered the same. I have the SMP on both quads and have had no problems, I even stop and start them frequently and can't remember the last time I lost a WU. As for the GPU clients, they are also very stable which just shows how few problems I have with the SMP's.

Old June 28, 2009, 07:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

The smp clients where always hit and miss for me,i'd go to work for 2 weeks just to see that some would stop folding 1-2 days after i left. I ended up just selling the 3 quads i was running them on and folding on my Ps3 only. I'm going to try the gpu client though,i've got a gtx 275 on route to fold.

Tags
f@h , folding , smp