Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Team F-T-L at it again? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/18466-team-f-t-l-again.html)

Soultribunal May 31, 2009 04:14 PM

Team F-T-L at it again?

Well, they got all their Points Nuked once, but I think they are at it again.
They just showed up on our Threat List , and of course two of their top producers are:
Any Username you like
Anonymous

LOL!

Wonder when FAH Stanford will catch on to that again.

ST

chrisk May 31, 2009 04:40 PM

Looks like they will get us in 1.7 years.

I would say shag it, lest take the science....but it might get f@h flagged by various malware detection tools, etc. It also goes against the spirit of distributed computing.

sswilson May 31, 2009 04:53 PM

2400+ active folders???? :)

Folding Forum • View topic - Console Client runing with no install

Apparently the original team was FTL, and this has been changed to F-T-L in an attempt to circumvent whatever blocks PG put in place. I hope they have this sorted out by the end of this week, otherwise I'll be taking my FAH clients off-line until they get it worked out. I'm not interested in being involved with a project that doesn't enforce a zero tolerance policy WRT unauthorized installations of their client.

chrisk May 31, 2009 05:31 PM

Looks like pande will be 'getting around' to blocking these guys. This is unfortunate, as that will just end up encouraging them to try it again. They were blocked before, and must know that it will happen again, so they clearly like the attention and charge out of going up the charts quickly.

sswilson May 31, 2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskwarren (Post 203099)
Looks like pande will be 'getting around' to blocking these guys. This is unfortunate, as that will just end up encouraging them to try it again. They were blocked before, and must know that it will happen again, so they clearly like the attention and charge out of going up the charts quickly.

Unfortunately, I've got issues with the time it took them to react the last time this happened. They should be on top of this 24/7 as it's abhorant that they'd accept results from what is obviously some form of botnet. It shouldn't be too hard to come up with some form of tracking software that would notify them when any team goes from 0 to 24,000 users in the space of a few weeks, and even easier for them to make the name of that team MUD as far as the servers are concerned.

If these actions were acted on either quickly (as in within 48 hours), or even better, automatically, the folks doing it would tire pretty quickly.

chrisk May 31, 2009 05:48 PM

Don't even think they need software to track it automatically. Regular F@H users would see this and report it pretty quickly you would think.

sswilson May 31, 2009 05:51 PM

They maintain a database of all the stats so it wouldn't take much for them to set some form of flag that would let them know long before the team(s) made it anywhere near to a position that us regular users would notice.

The issue isn't about it being reported, it's about them reacting to the reports.

Silvgearx May 31, 2009 06:04 PM

so, i don't quite get it, are those people stealing points from other teams?

we're all folding for the same cause, i see no difference who gets tops. its the heart that counts.

even tho the names are anonymous/any username you like. So if the names were change to joeblow then you guys won't have a problem? :rofl::haha:

sswilson May 31, 2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX (Post 203118)
so, i don't quite get it, are those people stealing points from other teams?

we're all folding for the same cause, i see no difference who gets tops. its the heart that counts.

even tho the names are anonymous/any username you like. So if the names were change to joeblow then you guys won't have a problem? :rofl::haha:

The client is being installed without informed consent, and as such, FAH is being distrubuted as a form of trojan, or malware.

chrisk May 31, 2009 06:12 PM

Hey silver:
Here is the low-down on this team for those not familiar:
This team used to be called Team FTL, or Faster Than Light. They put the F@H client inside a game crack. People who installed the crack unknowingly (for the most part) installed the F@H client.

All those anoyn names? They probably don't know they are folding.

Aside from the ethical issues associated with this, actions such as these risk getting F@H flagged as malware, as most users would have to read the really fine print to know that they may be folding.