Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2009, 10:20 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Maybe pande should have reacted the same way when Sony released it's PS3 with a default folding name already hardwired into the system. I'm sure many people were rather upset that all their investment and time to reach the top of the individual standing were for not when 10s of thousands of PS3 users were folding unknowingly under the same folding tag.

Maybe pande shouldn't include users that gather points from multiple locations and users, another example of this skewing the individual standings is the challenges that have sprung up over the last 6 months with the Folding apes and other monkey based folding tags that teams have set up to combine many users under one name and pool points.

Personally I'm starting to lose that loving feeling where folding is involved as I'm finding it hard to justify the cost and commitment to a project where so little real scientific progress is made. I started thinking this way after hearing pete scout on that overclockers podcast try to explain real world advances coming from the folding effort, it was a hard sell and didn't satiate the skeptic in me. That was almost 3 years ago since that podcast and after much searching I've found very little progress derived from F@H efforts since.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not going to stop folding, I'll continue pulling the cart but as far as individual stat climbing is concerned the mule has eaten that carrot on a stick long ago.
Old June 1, 2009, 12:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Maybe pande should have reacted the same way when Sony released it's PS3 with a default folding name already hardwired into the system. I'm sure many people were rather upset that all their investment and time to reach the top of the individual standing were for not when 10s of thousands of PS3 users were folding unknowingly under the same folding tag.

Maybe pande shouldn't include users that gather points from multiple locations and users, another example of this skewing the individual standings is the challenges that have sprung up over the last 6 months with the Folding apes and other monkey based folding tags that teams have set up to combine many users under one name and pool points.

Personally I'm starting to lose that loving feeling where folding is involved as I'm finding it hard to justify the cost and commitment to a project where so little real scientific progress is made. I started thinking this way after hearing pete scout on that overclockers podcast try to explain real world advances coming from the folding effort, it was a hard sell and didn't satiate the skeptic in me. That was almost 3 years ago since that podcast and after much searching I've found very little progress derived from F@H efforts since.

Don't get me wrong here I'm not going to stop folding, I'll continue pulling the cart but as far as individual stat climbing is concerned the mule has eaten that carrot on a stick long ago.

I don't think I ever could lose the loving feeling.
It is a Worthy Cause.
There is a Gentlemen at my work (a Dr. of Chemistry to be exact), who 30+ years ago did the Original Protien 'Folding' With Printouts and special 3D 'glasses' that would 'fold' the multiple views of the Protien to give a better view of it.
In Those years till now, we have gone by leaps and bounds in our understanding of such things.
There is a Purpose out there for doing this.
Progress takes years and years and years.
We need to keep it up, and keep going forward.
There might not be a 'breakthrough' , but there will be understanding gained and eventually like all things deemed 'un-curable' , cured.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old June 1, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I hear what your saying. However I have to disagree with you in that most end user should not have to learn leet high level networking skilz in order for them to use the computer for it's intended purpose.
Yeah, I didn't really mean it like that. I'd be just as hard on my mother if she drove around with the oil pressure idiot light on.

There are just a few basic things that a person should know.... for computers or for driving.

I guess it's the attitude of these people that irritate me....
Old June 1, 2009, 04:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

I've done other 'distributed computing' projects......

I've got 11 thousand hours on seti.

There really isnt a better choice than folding at home.....

Don't jump ship just yet guys.....You can bet I'm gonna be on F-T-L.......I hammered in the last coffin nail on "team FTL" I will do so again.

Old June 1, 2009, 04:25 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Might take years for a meaningful breakthrough. So in the meantime, just have fun!

As for 'the crack installers get what they deserve' theory, my fear is that F@H gets flagged by apps as malware or such, and makes it that much harder to get installed and working.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 8, 2009, 01:54 AM
Allstar

F-T-L - Team Summary - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats

Old June 8, 2009, 04:08 AM
F@H

My System Specs

edit.... Heh that was pretty quick in the big scheme of things..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 8, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Minus 51 million points! Now that's what I call an update! Not enough, but hey, it's a great start!
Old June 8, 2009, 05:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The point zeroing wasn't the big deal... the fact that they're down to 22 active folders is.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old June 8, 2009, 05:46 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

I remember these clowns. Giving F@H a bad name.