Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2009, 07:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This is where I'll probably be at the end of next week.... :(

GPUGRID

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 31, 2009, 07:22 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't let the actions of one stupid group spoil what is a greater cause.

They will be nailed again.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 31, 2009, 07:39 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I wouldn't let the actions of one stupid group spoil what is a greater cause.

They will be nailed again.

ST
It's not the actions of F-T-L that pisses me off ST, it's the continuing inaction of PG in what should be seen by academics as a very serious issue. It took them 4+ months to resolve this issue the last time, that's just not acceptable IMO.

As it stands, I think I'll have a cup of java let this slide until the end of the week to see if they act on this, although I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old May 31, 2009, 08:51 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
This is where I'll probably be at the end of next week.... :(

GPUGRID
For those that don't know Spaceman-Spiff actually started a HWC GPUGrid Team last september, it has been dormant recently since most do F@H instead. It might be a viable alternative for those that can't get F@H to run or just want something different, it also runs on the PS3.

Team Link: http://www.gpugrid.net/team_display.php?teamid=697

Also, Seti@Home can be run on a Nvidia card now, for those that do Rosetta you can attach to Seti through your Boinc Manager...

Team Link: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=137640

Old May 31, 2009, 08:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
For those that don't know Spaceman-Spiff actually started a HWC GPUGrid Team last september, it has been dormant recently since most do F@H instead. It might be a viable alternative for those that can't get F@H to run or just want something different, it also runs on the PS3.

Team Link: http://www.gpugrid.net/team_display.php?teamid=697

Also, Seti@Home can be run on a Nvidia card now, for those that do Rosetta you can attach to Seti through your Boinc Manager...

Team Link: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_...?teamid=137640
Can the Seti instance be set to only run on the GPU while Rosetta uses the processor cores? (I'm more inclined to look at the GPUGrid though as it's still medical crunching).

Old May 31, 2009, 09:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Aside from the ethical issues associated with this, actions such as these risk getting F@H flagged as malware, as most users would have to read the really fine print to know that they may be folding.
You know, I may be a complete bastard, but.....

I really don't have a problem with brain dead individuals who install fake cracks or whatever and get "infected" with FAH. I mean seriously, most of those people don't know what the hell their computer is doing at *any* point in time.

My case:

I used to be on IRC a lot. I was on 2.5mbit DSL at the time. I was attacked by a 120 strong botnet. That's a pretty small botnet. Most of these machines were from east USA and had a good solid 70 to 80K/sec send speed. My connection was so horribly ruined I could not use it at all. Nothing worked.

I went to my friends house with a list of IP addresses. I started doing port scans on them. Each machine had up to 5 responsive ports. I looked up these responsive port numbers on trojan lists and they were ALL backdoors into their system. I used my friends machine to connect up to these backdoored machines and loaded in my own backdoor. I used Back Orifice. I killed off all the "ping.exe" in the process list and then deleted ping.exe off their computer. It took me quite a few hours but soon I had "neutered" enough of these machines that my internet connection started to work.

At that point in time I changed methods. I tried contacting the users of the machines. I popped up dialogs and told them something along the idea like... "Your machine is infected... please go and use an online virus scanner and get your machine cleaned"

One guy I saw was burning a cd of music. I popped up the dialog and said "I'm on your computer, your computer is infected with many viruses. I see that you're going to be burning music but you need to be doing a virus scan immediately as your machine is being used to attack my computer." I then popped up an IE window with housecall antivirus in it. The loser closed both the window of my text and the IE window and continued to make his cd burn list. I was in disbelief. I try one more time with a slightly different and persuasive message and he closes and ignores me again..... sooooo I shut down his burning application.

After this he turned off his computer and I quit wasting my time. I didn't bother telling them that they were infected anymore. I just deleted ping.exe off each machine and was done with it.

(I also downloaded the botnet executable and decoded it. I found and joined the botnet IRC channel. It was HIGHLY enjoyable watching the loser who owned them trying to packet a dialup connected user offline and unable to do so. All the bots happily told him that they were packeting and never passed on the error message that ping.exe was gone.)

Anyway, I know I'm a bastard and intolerant of people who don't take the time to learn things but I have absolutely no problem of people wittingly or unwittingly donate their CPU time to FAH. Ethically it's not right.... but I bet if you gave them a choice of giving up all their upload bandwidth/hard drive space/privacy or CPU time towards a good cause I know what a lot of people would pick. For the most part FAH doesn't make your computer run like shit. ping.exe -f [host] sure makes it hard to browse the web though....
Old May 31, 2009, 09:26 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Can the Seti instance be set to only run on the GPU while Rosetta uses the processor cores? (I'm more inclined to look at the GPUGrid though as it's still medical crunching).
I haven't looked into this much but if you check your Seti preferences under your account it gives the option to use your CPU, your GPU, or both. If, and how well this works I have no idea, I would think it would make those Astropulse monsters go a little faster.

I agree with you on the Medical crunching aspect, if my gpu's weren't dedicated to F@H I would be all over GPUGrid. I still sneak in some Seti now and then, but if I'm going to run Boinc I usually concentrate on Rosetta and Poem...

Old May 31, 2009, 10:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Here is the low-down on this team for those not familiar:
This team used to be called Team FTL, or Faster Than Light. They put the F@H client inside a game crack. People who installed the crack unknowingly (for the most part) installed the F@H client.

THanks for the explanation, i'll probably relay the same thing you told me today for someone else .
Old June 1, 2009, 02:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
You know, I may be a complete bastard, but.....
I hear what your saying. However I have to disagree with you in that most end user should not have to learn leet high level networking skilz in order for them to use the computer for it's intended purpose.

That's like telling your mom she's not allowed to drive her car unless she takes a basic mechanics course. As far as I am concerned in light of the things that can and do go wrong with net safety there should at least be "idiot lights" for those who just want to get from point A to B.

Something like hey! did you know ping.exe is running in the background? It shouldn't be. lol.

I suppose UAC would help in Vista though. Too many people turn this off.
Old June 1, 2009, 07:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

The Pandegroup is aware of F-T-L.

Zeroing them out is not an easy task....They don't just zero them , they prevent new units from downloading to those clients.

To my knowledge , this is done on a 'per-client' basis , so with 2000+ clients this is a herculean task......it's not that pandegroup aint trying.