Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   Calling all canucks! Canadian BOINC project needs your help! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/18003-calling-all-canucks-canadian-boinc-project-needs-your-help.html)

PrometheusUnbound May 17, 2009 01:11 PM

Calling all canucks! Canadian BOINC project needs your help!

Hello,

Canada has a new distributed computing project! :canadianwave:

I'd like to invite all of you to participate in a Canadian-German distributed computing project. We are trying to design a new class of antibiotic to combat E. coli, Salmonella, dysentery, the plague, and other pathogens. We are hoping to take on a class of bacterial pathogens that collectively account for hundreds of millions of infections every year, primarily in young children from developing nations.

We are using brand new computer algorithms to model the interaction between proteins in bacteria in order to understand how we can disrupt the interaction and stop bacteria from infecting people. This computer modeling requires teraflop-level processing power and so we are asking the public to donate their unused CPU time.

The science is being conducted at the University of British Columbia in association with collaborators in Germany.

Please consider using your rig to help Canadian science and global health. It only takes a couple of minutes to get it started, and once you get it going, your data could really help us come up with new ways to combat these diseases.

Project information:
POEM@HOME

How to get involved:
POEM@HOME

Thank you!

Scratch May 19, 2009 02:27 AM

Well this certainly seems like a worthwhile endeavor and being associated with UBC is also complimentary. I'm sure I can spare the bandwidth.
Anyone wishing to BOINC I have set up a HWC Team on Hardwarecanucks.com
Keep on Folding Canada :canadianwave:

PrometheusUnbound May 21, 2009 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch (Post 197174)
Well this certainly seems like a worthwhile endeavor and being associated with UBC is also complimentary. I'm sure I can spare the bandwidth.
Anyone wishing to BOINC I have set up a HWC Team on Hardwarecanucks.com
Keep on Folding Canada :canadianwave:

Thank you! :clap:

Gellidius May 21, 2009 03:49 PM

just joined the team :clap:

crazyhorsejohnny May 22, 2009 11:11 AM

I'm on board. Team RustNeverSleeps.

Jon_di2 May 22, 2009 01:57 PM

The website contains very little information in regards to what is happening with the project...

what they are studying is explained in slight detail, but its missing a lot of information (example Research Overview)

The website states POEM@HOME implements a novel approach to understand these aspects of protein structure. What is the Novel approach through... I guess what I would really like to see is the "Our project in Detail" section to be greatly expanded.

obviously its a small project just starting up, but I think if they want more volunteers they need to really explain what is being done and by who... I dont see any names... seems odd to me...

What I really dont like though... is that while the Poem@Home page says that it is non-profit, it is owned by "FZK-INT" which doesn't seem to say anything about being non-profit... see below... so are they 100% non profit...

Google Translate

Also it says POEM@HOME is based at Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe but it doesn't mention anything about the University of BC or Canada at all for that matter...

Dont get me wrong, based on what I see on the Poem@home webpage, it looks like it is more then likely a good cause, but when they say things like:
develop new drugs on the basis of the three-dimensions structure of biologically important proteins.
I just want to know if these drugs are going to be "for profit" for FZK-INT...

crazyhorsejohnny May 22, 2009 03:28 PM

Bud you've made some good points. Any answers PrometheusUnbound?

Gellidius May 23, 2009 06:01 AM

would that be what we're looking for?

"POEM@HOME is a purely academic, non-profit project to improve our understanding of biomolecular structure and function. All substantial result of POEM@HOME will be published in international peer reviewed journals with proper credit to the POEM@HOME volunteers."

Taken from this page:POEM@HOME

Gellidius May 23, 2009 09:32 AM

If anyone decides to stop Rosetta during the warm weather, you should try Poem@Home;

Since yesterday i have been running 2 cores on Rosetta and 2 cores on Poem and have found out that cpu cores run at approx. 4-5C. lower than running only Rosetta;
Running only Poem might still lower temps some more.

LCB001 May 23, 2009 09:04 PM

I have attached to this project.

Found this posts from their forums;
Quote:

This is Volunteer computing.

The FZK is not a commercial company :

Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe is one of the biggest science and engineering research institutions in Europe and funded jointly by the Federal Republic of Germany and the State of Baden-Wuerttemberg.

There are commercial BOINC projects but this one isn\'t one of those.
And this from Wenzel, project developer and scientist;
Quote:

Exactly :) This is a pure basic science project and all data we find will be made published in scientific journals an made accessible to all. It is true that the FZK is organized as a company for various reasons, but it is a non-profit corporation, i.e. we are not able to make any profits at all. Should any of our results have commercial value, the proceeds will go back to research. Should this be the case (we do not anticipate this at the moment), we will notify the participants at once.