Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2009, 02:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Second rig

I've finally got my main rig up and running, need to get VMWare running and what not, currently I can do 15k ppd if I leave it running and don't play games (like that's going to happen).

Anyways my question is about a second rig. I have an older pc, unsure of the mobo but it does currently have:
- 7600GT
- P4 3.0ghz
- 2gb crucial 5300
- Seagate 250gb HDD
- Some cheapo psu, I have a spare 450W Xion psu that came with the case, I'm not sure if it would cut it or last.

Anywho, Tiger has a XFX 9600 GSO on for 70 bucks which is quite tempting. I would also need a wireless G card as I would just put this in my room. Thoughts? Will the PSU cut it and I assume that card is the best bet as for price/power consumption/points go.

P.S. The 7600GT has an accelero cooler on it, not sure if it would fit, hopefully it does as that would most certainly help overclocking.
Old May 17, 2009, 05:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Do not Use that Xion PSU. You will let the magic blue smoke out so fast if you do.
The 9600GSO card is good, its the 768MB model I do believe. Give yourself the safety of a quality made PSU however.

Regards,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 17, 2009, 06:08 AM
Allstar

I agree spend a few bucks on a psu. There aren't a lot of P4 mobos that have PCIE graphics, so make the effort to id your motherboard before buying a video card. My bet is you'll need an agp flavour.
Old May 17, 2009, 11:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 of 7 View Post
I agree spend a few bucks on a psu. There aren't a lot of P4 mobos that have PCIE graphics, so make the effort to id your motherboard before buying a video card. My bet is you'll need an agp flavour.
Negative, I've run my 8800 Ultra in there before. Intel® Desktop Board D945GTP Overview

It's the ASUS version of this board. Also it could be a D, all I remember from that pc is it's 3.0ghz.

I do have a better PSU lying around but it's super overkill and I suppose I should sell it and buy a lower one. It's a 750W Silverstone. Something like this would suit my needs probably - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610-Watt PCI-Express SATA-Ready Copper Power Supply, 80Plus S61EPS at TigerDirect.com

Last edited by JMCD; May 17, 2009 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 17, 2009, 03:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Ultra LSP650 650-Watt Power Supply - ATX, SATA-Ready, SLI-Ready, 135mm Fan at TigerDirect.com

Grab that, registar for the Lifetime Warranty, and then Run it till you can't run it anymore.
My LSP has lasted for 3 years, 4 rigs, and keeps on churning away.
They are Andyson OEM, Server Grade.
Will do you just as well as the PC, for a little cheaper.

REgards,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 17, 2009, 04:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha I didn't even notice I was on the american site. Grrr, yeah the 650 is listed for 80, I may grab that one.