Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 9, 2009, 11:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Hailstorm = Lost days work

The good News.
My Trusty (yet expensive) APC took one for the Team literally.
It saved Storm Force however, but the software didn't fare so well.

I don't know if something got corrupted but I lost everything and have started to rebuild right from scratch again.
*sigh* thats a days work gone, but the GPU client is back online..I think I need to do a lot of reading on this SMP to get me in a higher bracked for Pscout, and make up for the loss..
Let that be a good reminder, high Grade UPS's do their jobs well.

$375 < $1100 .

Anywho, random post really, but I'm back online.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 9, 2009, 12:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

We have been having some scattered lightening storms today. Pretty neat actually; sunny one minute, then a storm 15 minutes later, and the cycle starts all over again. I heard that Brampton is getting it a lot worse today though.

+1 for the UPS idea, and the post is a great idea too, as it will serve as a warning/heads-up for those who don't protect their expensive equipment. I have an APC UPS on my main rig, and will be moving it to the folding rig when I buy a more powerful one. I wonder why sometimes, that people feel fit to spend $400 on a MB, $400 on a CPU, another $400 on a video card, etc etc, and then plug it in to a $5 power bar from Wal-mart.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 9, 2009, 12:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yup UPS's FTW!

I wouldn't run a rig without one.

Glad all you lost was time ST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
We have been having some scattered lightening storms today. Pretty neat actually; sunny one minute, then a storm 15 minutes later, and the cycle starts all over again. I heard that Brampton is getting it a lot worse today though.

+1 for the UPS idea, and the post is a great idea too, as it will serve as a warning/heads-up for those who don't protect their expensive equipment. I have an APC UPS on my main rig, and will be moving it to the folding rig when I buy a more powerful one. I wonder why sometimes, that people feel fit to spend $400 on a MB, $400 on a CPU, another $400 on a video card, etc etc, and then plug it in to a $5 power bar from Wal-mart.
Yeah reminds me of a saying I read somewhere,
$3000 highend Gaming computer
$1000 for that fata$$ monitor
Look on your face when your POS PSU blows and takes the rig with it:

Priceless!
Old May 9, 2009, 01:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That hailstorm this morning was insane. I got to bed at 4:30AM, and I am usually a complete stone until about 11:00AM, but damn that storm woke me up.
As for a UPS, I'm in good need of one of those. Could you possibly link me to a good place to find them?
(Sorry for the slight threadjack)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old May 9, 2009, 01:45 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Every single computer (desktop) I have is protected using a UPS - APCs: dual 900s for my Main and the printer server, and a 1300 for the folding rig.

Bought them at Bureau En Gros / Staples on sale, and they are sometimes on sale too at FS and BB. NCIX also has a nice selection.
Old May 9, 2009, 01:46 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
That hailstorm this morning was insane. I got to bed at 4:30AM, and I am usually a complete stone until about 11:00AM, but damn that storm woke me up.
As for a UPS, I'm in good need of one of those. Could you possibly link me to a good place to find them?
(Sorry for the slight threadjack)
If you are in Brampton then Canada Computers is a decent place to start:
Canada Computers - Your Neighbourhood Computer Store and Service Centre - PC Systems and Hardware Components, Notebooks, Electronics, and more.

If you have access to a car, then Infonec has some good prices:
Infonec Computers - Computer parts Canada, PC Components, laptop computers, motherboards, processors, CPUs and much more

The UPS I currently use is an APC one, but I may be picking up this model made by Cyberpower in the near future:
Canada Computers - Power Protection > UPS/Battery Backup : CyberPower CP1200AVR 1200VA AVR UPS System. This might be more than you need. The Cyberpower has some good specs, but to be honest I don't know much about them. Have not seen any poor reviews though that would cause concern. APC is very popular and well-known.

You need to make sure that the UPS you get will actually meet your needs. The main rig in my sig pulls just less than 600W out of the wall, and the current UPS I have only provides 550W. I don't worry about the run-time on battery...I just want the AVR (which is supposed to provide clean electricity), and to have enough battery time to have the UPS software shut down my computer after a couple of minutes.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 9, 2009, 02:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
If you are in Brampton then Canada Computers is a decent place to start:
I just find that line funny since you've dropped a PSU off at my house
But, I was unaware CC carried UPS'. I'll have to do some looking around. The crappy thing is I run my PC on a 42" TV, so I'd say that draws quite a bit more than the 2053BW I was once running.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old May 9, 2009, 02:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
I just find that line funny since you've dropped a PSU off at my house
But, I was unaware CC carried UPS'. I'll have to do some looking around. The crappy thing is I run my PC on a 42" TV, so I'd say that draws quite a bit more than the 2053BW I was once running.
Haha yeah poorly worded...should have said "Since you are in Brampton..."

The one I said I was going to buy might actually do it for you. Is your TV LCD or plasma?
Fold for team #54196
Old May 9, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's an LCD, Dynex DX-LCD42HD-09.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old May 9, 2009, 02:34 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

LCD uses less electricity than a plasma which is a good thing. My entire system (main in sig) pulls ~600W, including my 26in LCD. Been looking around for a definitive answer on the 42 inch but don't seem to see one...looks like the UPS I linked should be fine for a short run-time for sure, if this thread is correct: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245316-28-anyone
Fold for team #54196