Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2007, 04:54 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Question Question regarding software

I'm about to install Vista and I don't want to loose the work in progress. Which F@H file do I have to back-up in order to complete the WU when the transfer to Vista is done?

Thanks!
Old June 28, 2007, 10:59 PM
Fallen Folder
F@H

You can just copy the whole folding folder. The wu itself is backed up by making a copy of or moving the Work subdirectory and the queue.dat file.

If you are running the standard client, by copying the whole folding directory, all you need to to on vista is start the exe and it will pick up where it left off.
or setup a new shortcut to the exe with your switches like "-verbosity 9 -forceasm".
If the directory name and drive is the same on vista as it was in wxp, and you already had a shortcut in the folding directory you copied, you can just launch it it think. I haven't run vista yet so am not sure if a shortcut created on xp will work on vista so i am guessing it would.

If running the gui client, then a reinstall of the client is needed. Before letting it get a wu, copy the work dir and queue.dat file into its directory and when you start it, it will continue from the last checkpoint.

If running standard client as a service, then you need to run the .exe with the -configonly switch to get it installed as a service. Once you then start the service, the client will resume from the last checkpoint. I don't recall reading anything different about a service install on vista, but then i haven't been doing much with the standard client lately. All my attention has been on smp for windows and linux for the last few months.

If this was an smp client, you would need to have .net 2.0 installed and run the install.bat that would be in the copied folding directory. Also, you need to do all this under administrator level priviledges. The id you run install.bat under has to be the same as the one the client runs under. The rest is the same as with the standard client as above.

One reason i like standard client (vs gui) and don't run as a service, is that it is so simple to move a folding instance, especially if you keep your drive/directory names the same. I set up all my folding rigs with a c: and a d: partition and put all my folding stuff on d: so i don't even have to copy it whein I reinstall the os.
On an smp instance, you still need the extra step of running the install.bat to setup the smpd and mpiexec or with a service, rerunning the -configonly to get a service setup. Vista adds a bit of complication with userid's and priveleges tho and some suggest just turning UAC off to avoid the hassles. No first hand experience here tho.

The only other thing that you could possibly copy is the unique userid that stanford assigns to each machine. I don't bother with exporting it from the registry on the old os and importing it on the new os since the client will just get a new one from stanford if it doesn't find one when it starts.
This only affects your instance count in your stanford stats. If you use the old one by exporting/importing, your instance count will not change. If you get a new one it will go up by one when your first wu is submitted from the new setup.

Last edited by pscout; June 28, 2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old June 29, 2007, 10:06 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the info - I found exactly the same thing in the F@H FAQ. I did save the folder and .dat file.

I'm using the GUI on that rig - I'll re-install and copy the folder and file over. I'm almost done with the softwares re-installation. That Vista install has been a pain, since my mobo (Abit AS8) is based on the 865 chipset - which is not supported by Abit anymore.

But it all worked out, and the rig will be back folding tonight.

John