Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 6, 2009, 01:45 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I joined for the contest. After doing it for 2 weeks I realize I don't have to fold 24/7 and it can be done while i'm surfing or working or DLing. Then I read about Pete Scout and for sure I will keep folding in his name after I hit 15,000. I just ordered a 9600gt for my htpc so I can fold on my upstairs computer too.

I'd say the contest has done good by me. And great for Folding.

Finally I am able to put my greed to good use.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:04 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

My new card just showed up at the Door. It's kismet I tell you.
Old May 6, 2009, 02:05 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I never knew what folding was until this. I know I asked a question about video cards about a month or 2 ago and Charlie had mentioned all the video cards I had would be great for folding, He linked me to the FAQ they have here and still it didnt make much sense to me I sort of presumed it was a way of killing my computer parts by having them max out all the time and see what they were capable of.

I saw that contest just recently (normally just stick to the BST forums!) and then was like wow cool, so I asked for a little help and this is a great community with tons of brainpower and a few nice people helped me get setup! I will for sure fold for HWC after the contest not sure if I will do it to the extent now (3-4 machines pretty much 24/7 but I'll still fold non the less).

Congrats on your accomplishement HWC and I look forward in seeing HWC continue to grow, F@H to become more widely known (I will be mentioning it to everyone I know when I work on their computers now)!
Old May 6, 2009, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

LMAO @ Squee, he is in some mood these days.
Old May 6, 2009, 05:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

As for myself, anybody who knows me knows I've never made any qualms about folding for the points and for the glory! (How ubergeeky is that?!) It's a hobby for me. I reject the notion that somehow makes me a bad person though. I diverted one of my machines to the HWC team for the contest and ended up folding 50k points under my name. 50k points worth of science got done. Is that a bad thing? Clearly not. 50k points of science got done for team HWC that otherwise would have got done for team NCIX. Is that a bad thing? I think it's pretty meaningless frankly.

But here's the thing. I've switched that machine to fold under the pscount tribute. Why did I do that? That's so unlike me. I <3 my 20 million points, so why would I divert cycles away from that? Hmm, maybe there's something more to this folding thing than just the altruism-ego dichotomy after all. Perhaps there's another sense of fulfillment - whether it be feeling a part of something, teamwork, community that sort of thing - or perhaps there's some fulfillment in knowing that you're actually using that $XXXX machine for more than just surfing the web and playing some games, a feeling like you're actually giving your machine a run for its money. After all, the SMP client is a much better stability test than Prime95 will ever be. I'm not sure what it is - all I know is that folding makes me feel good. Yeah, it's selfish. I don't care. So if other people fold because they like doing it - for whatever reason - then I'm not sure how anybody could possible construe that as being a bad thing.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!
Old May 6, 2009, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Well i started folding because of the contest!! I had no knowledge about folding before i saw the contest post, i think i might have heard of it once or twice but didn't know what it was all about. I only have one computer but i know i will fold after the contest. (I don't know if i will even hit 15000 points in time) lol. it's for a great cause and that can't be denied... and hopefully we can all help our fellow man out a little bit.. It will be nice to see HWC on the team list now!!! Peace
Old May 6, 2009, 08:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Its a free place to speak and I'm entitled to my opinion and my opinion is that of which people who fold for points or greed regardless if they are helping to contribute are doing it for the wrong reasons.

Want to fold? Do it for the right reasons.
You're free to speak your opinion and I am free to fold for whatever damn reason I want.

Good job guys! I have been doing what little I can(~4000ppd) for it.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckleBrother View Post
You're free to speak your opinion and I am free to fold for whatever damn reason I want.

Good job guys! I have been doing what little I can(~4000ppd) for it.

Well said well said and Squeetard you make me laugh.... lol
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old May 6, 2009, 11:20 PM
MVP
F@H

Yay for 100!

I'm clearly not going to make the short list for the contest, but it's all good.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:58 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Dead Things I agree 100% with your entire post, well thought out and honest. I agree with your comment about SMP folding being a good stress test as I've used it to test many OC's. As for "folding for pscout" At first I thought it was a great tribute to the man and never realized just how fun it would be to watch the tribute pscout skyrocket in the charts. The EOC graphs almost straight verticle and by tomorrow his names going to be in low Earth orbit. Now am I being altruistic or competative? Maybe a bit of both. Ahh shit I dunno. You decide. But it sure is fun!