Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 5, 2009, 06:56 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Default 8800GT in a 4X PCI-E slot? Worth it?

Hi all,

I'm currently running an Asus M3A78-T board with three full-length PCI-E slots, and two 8800GTs in 8X/8X configuration.

Both of my cards have 2x slot coolers, but I can still squeeze a third single-slot 8800GT between the two. The only catch is that the PCI-E configuration changes to 8X/4X/8X. I know that at 8X bandwidth, the cards are not bottlnecked, but I'm not so sure at 4X.

Anyone have any experience with this? Will the third card in the 4X slot be bandwidth limited? This rig is 100% for folding, so I don't care about gaming performance.

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old May 5, 2009, 07:11 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

For Folding I don't see it as being a problem. For something like tri-sli however your performance would suffer, but you're not doing that anyways.
Old May 5, 2009, 07:50 AM
Banned
F@H

yeah, look for about 10% max performance loss with the old GPU1 client...GPU2 should fare far better.
Old May 8, 2009, 01:58 AM
Associate Review Editor

Although I'm a relative newbie at folding, I just tried 8X vs 4X with a 8800GT and there was only a 40PPD difference.

Mind you this motherboard has a PCI-E bridge, so that may affect performance either way.
Old May 8, 2009, 05:11 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Although I'm a relative newbie at folding, I just tried 8X vs 4X with a 8800GT and there was only a 40PPD difference.

Mind you this motherboard has a PCI-E bridge, so that may affect performance either way.
Very happy to hear a solid number on that, thanks very much, MAC
Old May 8, 2009, 07:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Wow, LL, how the heck am I supposed to Catch you when you are stuffing that many folding cards on one board?!
Grrrr,
Now I have to go out and build myself another Rig!

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 13, 2009, 09:44 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

ST. I have been looking at the eoc stats page and once I get my WC setup installed, I should have something for you folding wise. I should be able to put up 13-14K PPD. It'll take me a while to catch you, but just to let you know. I see you and within a month, you should see me creeping up on you... Don't let EE distract you too much from looking in the rear view...

oops! Sorry for the hijack... ...slaps himself on the wrist rather hard!

When all men think alike, nobody thinks very much.
Walter Lippman

2600K @ 4.8GHz 1.44v
ASRock Extreme4
GTX 460 SLI
Old May 13, 2009, 09:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckid4u View Post
ST. I have been looking at the eoc stats page and once I get my WC setup installed, I should have something for you folding wise. I should be able to put up 13-14K PPD. It'll take me a while to catch you, but just to let you know. I see you and within a month, you should see me creeping up on you... Don't let EE distract you too much from looking in the rear view...

oops! Sorry for the hijack... ...slaps himself on the wrist rather hard!
Well that is true , you get up to 13kppd and I'll have to worry....at least until Rig #2 comes online with a Pair of 250s....

:)

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old May 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Well that is true , you get up to 13kppd and I'll have to worry....at least until Rig #2 comes online with a Pair of 250s....

:)

ST

Settle Down now. I just got my second gts 250 in yesterday. With my 8800gt kicker and my 2 x dual core laptops smp folding, I might squeeze out 15K. If you have another rig coming online, I guess I have to pray I win the folding prize and get myself a second rig gpu up and running... shoulda kept my mouth shut.

When all men think alike, nobody thinks very much.
Walter Lippman

2600K @ 4.8GHz 1.44v
ASRock Extreme4
GTX 460 SLI
Old May 13, 2009, 10:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckid4u View Post
Settle Down now. I just got my second gts 250 in yesterday. With my 8800gt kicker and my 2 x dual core laptops smp folding, I might squeeze out 15K. If you have another rig coming online, I guess I have to pray I win the folding prize and get myself a second rig gpu up and running... shoulda kept my mouth shut.

AHh I'm settled, I just have to wait and see what the future holds for Rig #2.
You will in the end probably pass me for sure, but at least I'll make it a good fight first ! lol!

ST