Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 30, 2009, 09:34 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Folding

I've never done this before and Charlie had mentioned to me (atleast I think it was Charlie) am curious if anyone near the London, Ontario area is part of the team that could perhaps come over and help me out a bit :)
Old April 30, 2009, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

System specs would help. I'm no F@H expert but there are many here who are. "Online" help would probably be all you'll need to get going.
Old April 30, 2009, 09:49 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I believe there are some people in the London area...otherwise, feel free to post in here and we will be glad to help! Might want to get started soon, to try to get qualified for the current contest.

There are some excellent guides here: [H]orde Guides - [H]ard|Forum

If you post your specs, perhaps we can suggest a guide for you to follow that would suit your system, and help you troubleshoot. For the most part, it would be good to know your CPU, and Video card setup. If you have multiple video cards, we would need to know if you use SLI/Crossfire.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 30, 2009, 11:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

+1 to what the others said.

Check out the guides at the Folding@Home official site. If you want to run VMware SMP folding, go check out the sticky that's here on HWC.
Old May 1, 2009, 09:18 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Q6600
P5N-D Pro
4GB RAM
2 x BFG 8800 GT OC2

Machine 2
-----------------
9950 BE
ASUS M3N-HT Deluxe
4GB RAM
BFG 8800 GT OC

Will list other machines later but yes anyone that would be willing to come down for a bit and help me get all setup would be great :)
Old May 2, 2009, 09:43 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well you have got some good pieces of equipment for folding. The nVidia cards do a much better job than the ATI cards. If you are new, I would just start with installing this client:
Step 1: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...ystray-623.msi
Here are some instructions that will help you install it: [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - [H]orde Guides
You will need the Hardware Canucks team number, which is 54196 .
Install it once on each of your two computers to get started.

Step 2: Then, follow this guide to monitor how efficiently your machines are folding:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html

The above is all you need to do to get started and comfortable. You will end up running it once on each computer. After you get comfortable with that, then you can learn to install a second GPU client on the first rig you listed, and then a CPU client on both. We can even help you overclock your video card shaders, and other measures to get maximum PPD.

But first, just try running once on each computer, and learn to monitor it. What I linked to in the two steps I listed above should only take a few minutes, and will help you learn some of the lingo and gain a comfort level with folding. It can seem complicated when you have all of us blabbering about different projects, dongles, WUs, PPD, F@H, console/client, vmware, virtual machines, etc etc. But if you start with what I listed above, it will start to make sense, and should work for you with minimal effort.

Any issues, or if you want to take the next step to get more points out of your system, just post here in this thread and we can help you along the way. Folding a lot takes some attention to your computer from day to day, so it may be tough to get someone to come out there to your house, but you will have great success asking questions in the forums here :)
Fold for team #54196
Old May 3, 2009, 11:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ok I think I got part of it going now my name should be Trayton and I do believe I joined the HWC team!
Old May 3, 2009, 11:18 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Might take a few hours for your name to show up. Welcome to the team!
Fold for team #54196
Old May 3, 2009, 07:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if I have it all setup right just downloaded off their site didnt realize its a different file then the one posted above by you :(

How fast can I rack up points and how can I do more then one machine at a time?
Old May 3, 2009, 08:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
Not sure if I have it all setup right just downloaded off their site didnt realize its a different file then the one posted above by you :(

How fast can I rack up points and how can I do more then one machine at a time?
From the looks of your points you downloaded the Uniprocessor or Classic client which is a single core Cpu client. If you use the link chrisk provided it will d/l the GPU client for you which will generate 10 times the points.

You will get ~4500 ppd (points per day) from a 8800gt depending on how high you overclock the shaders...

And since you have your first points, Welcome to the Team...