Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 4, 2009, 04:46 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Alright I'm at work I'll have to un SLI it tonight I guess I should just put my 4870 1GB in there instead of having it sit on my desk doing nothing! How will it fold compared to my BFG 8800 GT OC2 512MB
Your 8800GT will probably fold better than the 4870. The nVidia kicks butt in folding. Don't put both ATI and nVidia in the same rig (I was warned multiple times not to do this myself when I asked).
Quote:
(did have these in SLI but appears since I'm using Vista 64 you guys think I have to unlink the SLI)?
You have to unlink the SLI or Crossfire unfortunately.

Quote:
BTW is it wise to run the CPU and GPU f@h at the same time on one machine (just use different Machine ID's?
Yes. You can use both at once. You are correct also about having different machine IDs too, so you are learning fine. In the advanced panel for F@H, you might want to set the GPU client to slightly higher, and the CPU one to slightly lower.

However, there is a catch; CPU folding@home is not very efficient. Get those GPU clients up and running properly first, and then we can talk about folding using the vmware client, which will get you way more points per day.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 4, 2009, 05:51 PM
Rookie
F@H

Thanks Chris,

I found my problem. I was trying to set the span display with the Nvidia control panel. Soon as I dropped down to the windows control to turn it on I was in business.

Two BFG 9800GTX+ OC 512's plugging away beautifully now. If this can run for a week straight with good stability perhaps we can consider a little overclocking.
Old May 4, 2009, 05:58 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plathora View Post
Thanks Chris,

I found my problem. I was trying to set the span display with the Nvidia control panel. Soon as I dropped down to the windows control to turn it on I was in business.

Two BFG 9800GTX+ OC 512's plugging away beautifully now. If this can run for a week straight with good stability perhaps we can consider a little overclocking.
NP. Don't forget to request a folding tag, and get your 15,000PPD for the contest.
Fold for team #54196
Old May 4, 2009, 08:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

15,000 points per day crap lol I thought it was just have 15,000 points by May 14th!
Old May 4, 2009, 08:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
15,000 points per day crap lol I thought it was just have 15,000 points by May 14th!
by May 14th
Old May 4, 2009, 08:22 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayton View Post
You are right. My bad! Just used to typing 'PPD' after the numbers.

Yes...15,000 points total
Fold for team #54196
Old May 5, 2009, 06:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Good stuff on getting those GTX's folding for the cause!
Its an addicting hobby.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 5, 2009, 07:37 AM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Good stuff on getting those GTX's folding for the cause!
Its an addicting hobby.

ST
This machine has gone through a lot of hardware changes in the past month. I am too cheep to buy the latest and greatest and decided I would finally upgrade to something which is Crysis capable (seeing as Maximum Edition is being released today and it would be a cheep way of getting all three previous offerings).

To make a long story short, stability has been lacking; Lockups abundant. This is a great way to push the box a bit and debug all of the issues. In my case, I hope I have it licked. Bloody northbridge appeared to be overheating because it is right behind one of these hot cards. Added a fan to the passive cooler and it ran overnight with no lockups. The ultimate goal is to try and get this Phenom into the mix soon.
Old May 5, 2009, 09:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Ah yes this is Day 2 of folding I believe for me and its quite interesting, not sure what happened lastnight all my machines were of this morning but so were some other things in my house but yet my alarm clock etc was still on lol makes no sense bu tnayway back up and running!

I've got 3 pretty nice machines at the moment but might sell one
Old May 5, 2009, 06:52 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Woot not even 2 days completed fully and just reached my 15,000!