Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 28, 2009, 09:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Which for which?

I'm having a hard time choosing where I should put my parts. I've got a 8800gts with a WC block, 9800gtx+, evga 750i ftw, and asus p5nsli. I also have a q6600, e6600 and soon to be a e5200 (unless its bad for folding, and someone can recommend me another cpu around the same price range).
Right now, the q6600 is in my HTPC in an asus p5kpl (or something like that).
What I'm trying to decide is where I should put everything. Only one pc is going to be water cooled. I'm thinking my setups will be like this:
HTPC: q6600, 4350, asus p5kpl
WC'ed cruncher: evga 750i ftw, 8800gts, e5200
Non Wc cruncher: asus p5nsli, e6600, 9800GTX+

EDIT: I will still have an 8600GTS left over as well. /EDIT

Is that going to be efficient?
The reason for putting te e5200 with my 750i is its 45nm and it won't go in my p5nsli. Also, i've been reading about changing processors and not having to reformat, and some people say its fine, and some say it might mess it up. So I'd rather keep the q6600 in the HTPC (which will be crunching as well).

Last edited by Phobia; April 28, 2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:08 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've swapped chips in my test rig time and time again, never had to reformat / reinstall Windows.

I would use the E5200 in the HTPC, and the Q6600 with the 750i.
I would use the GTX+ with the 750i, and wc both CPU and GPU - makes wonders for the temps.
Old April 29, 2009, 04:21 AM
Banned

If this one have a water block and you don't need it PM me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
EDIT: I will still have an 8600GTS left over as well. /EDIT

Old April 29, 2009, 05:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
I've swapped chips in my test rig time and time again, never had to reformat / reinstall Windows.

I would use the E5200 in the HTPC, and the Q6600 with the 750i.
I would use the GTX+ with the 750i, and wc both CPU and GPU - makes wonders for the temps.

I agree with Charlie, the Q6600 Will work best in the 750i , with the GTX+.
I have never had to do anything when switching chips around, only boards.
That would be your best bang for the buck.

Regards,
ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 29, 2009, 06:33 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to agree with the above posts.

Watercool that Q66 and GTX+ on the 750i, oc the CRAP out of them, and get some monster PPD! Plus, you'll have good overhead if you decide to SLI the GTX+ for even more PPD!
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 29, 2009, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

What i've also thought of doing is stealing my bro's gtx260 and replacing his with the 9800gtx+ I'm not sure how much of a PPD increase i'll get, so I've got to research that first, before i make a descision, because if he catches me.. he won't be too happy

About WC'ing the GPU, could I buy just a standard swiftech MCW60 and buy some ram sinks?

EDIT: I forgot, My 8800gts is watercooled, and will only be watercooled, as its already got a block on it, and i've mis-placed the stock cooler

Last edited by Phobia; April 29, 2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia View Post
What i've also thought of doing is stealing my bro's gtx260 and replacing his with the 9800gtx+ I'm not sure how much of a PPD increase i'll get, so I've got to research that first, before i make a descision, because if he catches me.. he won't be too happy

About WC'ing the GPU, could I buy just a standard swiftech MCW60 and buy some ram sinks?
The difference between a GTX+ and a 260 would be roughly 1000 ppd on most WU's depending on how high you OC them...

Old April 29, 2009, 09:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Phobia just how smart is your brother? I know you couldn't pull a fast one like that on me, I'd fire up any game and know right away something was up.

One review I read about folding the GTX260 offered the best performance per killowatt, but the review didn't include the 9800GTX+. Keeping that mind as LCB001 said despite it folding for less PPD the 9800GTX+ would have to be one of the more efficient GPU(s) thus costing you less money on a monthly basis. So really I think you need decided whats more important, PPD or $$ per month.

Regards,

EE

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 29, 2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: forgot a word
Old April 29, 2009, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

PPD, as I dont' pay any hydro bills.
And I'm not sure whether I could pull a fast one on him or not.. thats why im kind of skeptical