Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2009, 12:28 AM
Rookie
F@H

Default Not utilizing 100% GPU?

Hi,

When I select the Display option in the tray menu. I get the GPU client pop up but under performance it doesn't display a constant iterations/sec. Before I got a constant 2000~ ish iteration. Now I get up to a max of about 600 its/sec for 2 secs then it drops to zero and then the cycle repeats every 8 secs about.

I am running a GTX 285 OCX and it suffers from the "squealing noise" but it tells me when its underload. When I was gettin 2000 its/sec it was a constant squeal. But now its just bursts of squealing that corresponds to a spike in the ites/sec. Is this Normal?

Also, my WU are now out of 2000 instead of 10000 like before

Is there something wrong?

Thanks,
Laurent
Old April 24, 2009, 03:26 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentYe View Post
Hi,

When I select the Display option in the tray menu. I get the GPU client pop up but under performance it doesn't display a constant iterations/sec. Before I got a constant 2000~ ish iteration. Now I get up to a max of about 600 its/sec for 2 secs then it drops to zero and then the cycle repeats every 8 secs about.

I am running a GTX 285 OCX and it suffers from the "squealing noise" but it tells me when its underload. When I was gettin 2000 its/sec it was a constant squeal. But now its just bursts of squealing that corresponds to a spike in the ites/sec. Is this Normal?

Also, my WU are now out of 2000 instead of 10000 like before

Is there something wrong?

Thanks,
Laurent
Please do not use the viewer, it is buggy and can cause your gpu to slowdown if not crash. Check your ppd with a program like FaHMon; Home | FahMon or Fahspy Deposit Files .

Some of the new WU (work units) seem to use the gpu in an on/off fashion this is normal. You will get used to the Folding Squeal, it means your card is busy doing science and earning points for you and the Team.

Don't forget to request your Folding Tag here; Folding tag requests

Welcome to theTeam...

Old April 24, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Also check your logs, either with FAHMon or by right-clicking on your tray icon and clicking View Log. You may have been given a WU from a different project, probably one worth less points than those 10000 iterations WUs that you used to be getting. The different WUs that are floating around is one of the reasons why F@H doesn't make the best benchmark or test.
The intermittent GPU usage probably from your viewer hogging the CPU (LCB001 is right about it being buggy). Another possibility is that you're pegging the CPU with something else (another F@H client or BOINC?) - if that's the case, you can set the priority of F@H to "Slightly higher" in the options. I know there's a checkbox in the systray's options for it, but I'm not running systray right now to check.