Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2009, 05:57 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default New and Not sure this is working.

Hi, I'm new to folding and I've got a cpu client and a gpu client going, i think. The GPU client seems to be working as I've never heard the fan on my GPU rev so high untill now, that and it says working(number/number). I don't know if the CPU one is working though it just sits there and says Attemping to get work.

Any ideas would be great.

edit- I've just seen another post. Maybe the server is down. If my firewall was blocking it what ports would I need to forward?
Old April 21, 2009, 06:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I wouldn't worry just yet on the CPU client looking for work.
Just Close it and re-start it every hour or so and hopefully it will eventually get its own Work Unit.
Took me 30 hours when I was fiddling with both my CPU's.

Best Regards,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 21, 2009, 06:31 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Cool, thanks. I've also got a quad core and have been wondering how to open more than one instance of this thing so I can have one per core (if that's even a good idea), how might I get that working?
Actually I just opened it up again and it seemed to work, I just changed the machine id and set the core affinity with task manager. Last Time I tried to do this I got an error. Oh well, so long as this is the right way to do it I'm happy.
Old April 21, 2009, 07:13 AM
Banned
F@H

all you need to do is copy the FAH foldr for each client you want to run, so 4 folders of FAH for four units being crunched.

However, there's also the SMP client, which will use all available cores. You can find info on here about setting each up.
Old April 21, 2009, 08:38 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

And the SMP client has much better ppd.

What's your hardware?
Old April 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

I've got a Q6600, 4 gigs ram, and an HIS 3870.

So SMP Client is CPUs with more then 1 core?
Old April 21, 2009, 12:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by l-lunter View Post
I've got a Q6600, 4 gigs ram, and an HIS 3870.

So SMP Client is CPUs with more then 1 core?
4 cores, loaded as much as you want!

It gives much better PPD.. but it's a pain in the ass, just a heads up.. Tough to set up, then likes to f**k with you all the time
Old April 21, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't agree with the tough to setup part, but I guess if you're a complete noob and have no experience with command prompt it can be a little daunting.

I do agree with the "$%*& with you" I just had to delete a 75% unit due to a I/O error and the unit failing to reload correctly after shutting the client down.

Ah well live and learn, I do like the GPU client far better provided you have a good folding GPU it just flys through units and your PPD overall is far better.

Regards,

EE
Old April 21, 2009, 01:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

well I'm not enjoying the 4 instance idea either. Having to assign a core is a pain in the butt especially when you have 5 of them all with the same task name. that and right now I'm only running it on 2 cores but all my cores are high... More playing required I guess.
Old April 21, 2009, 01:33 PM
Banned
F@H

you don't need to set core affinity when running multiple single-cpu clients. the seperate folder for each client, and differing machine IDs are all that is required.