Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2009, 06:35 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default Waking Up To A Dead Folding Rig

So I woke up yesterday to find my second rig motionless, is there anything that can instill such a sense of almost Panic.

First thought is WTF, so I push the start button and get ...nothing. Rig1 is still happily Folding away so I know it wasn't a power glitch overnight.

Second thought is, Sh*t the power supply is gone, better troubleshoot just to make sure. Thanks to all the advice I have seen posted by members here to people in similiar situations I know the drill. Guess what, yup my super duper PCP&C 750w Silencer was brain dead. Of all the things I thought might die that was last on the list.

Second thing this A.M. (Coffee First) I was out getting a replacement before PPD withdrawel could set in. I now have a spankin' new Antec CP-850 in the 1200, it's the new CPX standard PSU that only fits in the Antec cases.

The only positive thing to this is when I get the Silencer replacement back I'll have a PSU ready for my 'Gotta Keep Ahead Of 3.0' rig coming sometime this summer...

As I'm sure you can tell by this post I still haven't quite recovered yet, I hope none of you ever have to go through the same pain as I did...

Old April 17, 2009, 06:41 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

No worries, this strange feeling has happened to me quite a few (too many) times...

Glad to know it's back up. No other components damaged? 'Gotta Keep Ahead Of 3.0' rig... LOL

Don't forget to change your sig!
Old April 17, 2009, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The silencer died? Yikes! Wouldn't expect that either... mine's got 5 years warranty?
Old April 17, 2009, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Damn those PC Silencer units are supposed to be top notch.
Sorry to hear that LCB001, at least you got it up and running fast.

I felt the same way when my 2600 went downhill.....

PPD withdrawl is the worst.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 17, 2009, 07:15 PM
MVP
F@H

Wonder if I'm about to be a victim also. One of the GPU's on my gx2 seems to be gradually producing less and less PPD. I'm getting a bad feeling that it's hinting at giving up. Is that an indication that something is amiss? I've tried rebooting but GPU4 seems to be sputtering compared to all the rest. When a gpu is going, does it gradually decline output or suddenly just quit? Is there anyway to test if it's 100% up to par? I'm not sure what else would cause the decline.

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old April 17, 2009, 07:18 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It dies.

And there is no better stress test than Folding.

There is an issue with your settings, or you have a huge delta with the different WUs being folded.
Old April 17, 2009, 07:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Man that sucks i been resting my computer lately for 2 hours or 4 hours i have ran it for almost 2 weeks straight with only 1 restart. I think its good to give the components a break especially since im watercooled i think the pump can use a break too. Ahhh weathers getting hotter rooms getting hotter i liked winter better.
Mushkin Ascent Redline 8000 4gb DDR2 @ 1066 5-5-5-15 2.05v
OCZ 600W GameXstream
Seagate 7200.11 500gb
Seagate 7200.10 320gb
Antec Spot Cool
Logitech X-230
Samsung 32" 720P HDTV

Coolermaster Cosmos S/
Swiftech Mcp655/ MCR-320-QP/ 6X Noctua NF-P12'S/ Swiftech Apogee GT/ Swiftech Mcw-60/ Swiftech Micro-Res.

Old April 17, 2009, 07:52 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
No worries, this strange feeling has happened to me quite a few (too many) times...

Glad to know it's back up. No other components damaged? 'Gotta Keep Ahead Of 3.0' rig... LOL

Don't forget to change your sig!
You like that do you, with all the new gear you've got coming I can't afford any downtime. You might still overtake me, but I'm not going to make it easy...

The shock wouldn't have been so bad if it had of happened when I was around, it was because I went to bed with it Folding away and woke up to find it Dead. Not to mention I've gotten used to the sound of all those fans (9) humming in the backgound, the (almost) silence was deafening.

Luckily none of the other components seem to be damaged, thanks for asking, put the new PSU in and she fired up fine. It did give me a reason to give the GPU's a good cleaning with compressed air, even though I give them a blast every couple a weeks it's amazing how much dust was deep inside.

@ Jake_HT; Mine's got the same warranty, I didn't think I'd be using it this soon however...

@ Nademon; If your GPU was going you would be getting EUE's as it wouldn't be able to hold the OC. Like 3.0 said check your setting's...

@ ST; Thanks, luckily I still had Rig1 going so I didn't have to go cold turkey.

Old April 18, 2009, 02:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashock View Post
Man that sucks i been resting my computer lately for 2 hours or 4 hours i have ran it for almost 2 weeks straight with only 1 restart. I think its good to give the components a break especially since im watercooled i think the pump can use a break too. Ahhh weathers getting hotter rooms getting hotter i liked winter better.

Actually it's argueable that the reverse is true.... running a system and keeping it warm instead of letting it cool off will reduce the amount of expansion / contraction you get.

My main Vista machine (in sig) has been folding for 24/7 since I started... no restarts or anything.
Old April 18, 2009, 05:00 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

sigh, one of my gx2's is starting to get EUE's on one core..... looks like it doesnt wanna fold anymore, crap.

Have an A-1 day!