Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HardwareCanucks F@H Team (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/)
-   -   F@H Multiple GPU issues (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardwarecanucks-f-h-team/16911-f-h-multiple-gpu-issues.html)

Jon_di2 April 16, 2009 11:39 AM

F@H Multiple GPU issues

Alright I'm having issues setting up dual GPU's with F@H....
I followed this guide but it isn't working out... [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - [H]orde Guides

With Vista 64
1) Disabled SLI
2) Hooked up 2nd GPU to a monitor and extended the desktop
3) Cuda drivers are installed
4) Installed F@H
5) Went to C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\ and copied this foler Folding@Home-gpu, and named it Folding@Home-gpu2
6) Created the shortcut from the .exe file from the progam files folder
7) Made the first one with
Target "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 0
C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Roaming\Folding@Home-gpu
8) Copied the shortcut and changed the paths to:
Target "C:\Program Files\Folding@home\Folding@home-gpu\Folding@home.exe" -gpu 1
"C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Roaming\Folding@Home-gpu2"
9) Each shortcut worked and opened a new F@H client, and I changed the machine id for one of them from 2, to 3 (so that they had different id's)

10) Both download a WU... then do nothing.

Any ideas?

3.0charlie April 16, 2009 11:46 AM

Install Fahmon or Fahspy, and monitor both Clients' logfiles.

Jon_di2 April 16, 2009 12:27 PM

Ya I installed Fahmon, and it showed yellow status for both of them, instead of green.

I dont have the log files right now, but I'll post them later (thats how I knew it just got stuck after downloading the files)

anyone else use multiple gpu's on vista 64?

Nademon April 16, 2009 01:54 PM

I'm running 4 gpu clients on vista 64 on one machine and 2 on another. are you using the GUI or the console client? I find the console is much more stable and easy to use. I just run it right off my desktop. I created 4 different folders, 1 for each GPU and configured them each individually. all I do is launch them one by one and I've even tried inserting the .exe file into the startup folder and it seems to work for me.

Jon_di2 April 16, 2009 02:35 PM

I'm using this one, which i assume is GUI:

Windows XP/2003/Vista GPU System tray client with special viewer for NVIDIA GPU's (installer msi)

So I should try this one then...

Windows Vista GPU Console client (note running as a service does not work in Vista). Uninstall any existing FAH services made with pre 6.20 clients before updating. 6.23

Didn't think of that... Will try it, thanks!

El_Fiendo April 16, 2009 02:38 PM

What work units and how long did you wait to see progress? Some frames can take up to 7 minutes on my 9800GTXs to complete 1%. Probably around 5 minutes on your GTX260s. Also, what drivers are you currently running?

Edit: The console client folds faster anyways.

4DoorGTZ April 16, 2009 04:52 PM

Folding on a couple 2900xt's for a while now with vista 64. Console is the way to go, the step by step guide by Xilkon on the stanford forum is worth its weight in gold, or is that fold?

3.0charlie April 16, 2009 05:11 PM

Do not use the Systray Client with viewer. Use the Console Client.

Jon_di2 April 17, 2009 05:29 AM

Well I'm sticking with the systray version since the guides are set up for the systray version not the console... and no I couldn't get it to work on vista 64, so I booted into windows XP and it works! So I'll just go into XP when I'm folding. I have 3 Gtx 216's going as of yesterday, and I'll have one more once I set up my second computer with XP as well as Vista.:canadianwave:

3.0charlie April 17, 2009 05:40 AM

Sorry about that, I taught you had issues with the CPU Client. Let me rephrase my reply: do not use the Systray Viewer Client, use the beta Systray Client.