Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 10, 2009, 04:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Help???

Hmmm so I got the 9800GT running on my system.
Everytime I try and run it , it errors saying

"A serious Error has ocurred running the COre"

And shuts itself down.

Any Thoughts?
I want to get running again!!!

Thanks!

PS - Drivers are all updated for the Card!

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 10, 2009, 06:12 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

The One must fold.

Didn't you have an Ati card installed first?

edit: where is the Client installed?
Old April 10, 2009, 06:23 PM
MVP
F@H

Hey ST....I had a similar issue when switching from ATI to Nvidia. I had to do multiple driver sweeps. I think it took a boot into safe mode and running driver cleaner pro before I got things working. Give it a go. Once before it took a fresh Vista install before things worked for me.

give those options a try and let me know what happens. The card was folding away happily in my rig so I know it can handle it. If it doesn't work out for you, let me know and I'll take the card back...no worries

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old April 10, 2009, 06:31 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Folding @home Client is installed on the C drive. I nuked all the ATI drivers with a Safe Mode Driver sweep X 2.
I think there has to be some file sitting somewhere for the GPU Client because everytime I do a fresh install of the F@H client, it already knows my username and Team.
I think there is a half finished work unit sitting from when my ATI card bought the farm in here and that might be causing the issue.
I can't find it though, I dont' know where else it would have hidden itself.
I am loathe to do a Full OS re-install on this, but in the end, I will if I must.

And ideas guys?

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old April 10, 2009, 06:39 PM
MVP
F@H

that sounds like you have a copy of the client config file hiding somewhere. I thought that would be the place where that info would be stored. Maybe do a search for the client config file? I'm not sure, but you definately should have to re-enter all your info. kinda makes sense that you're crashing if it's trying to work on an ATI WU.

Trust me...there's been many a time that I wanted to take an axe to my rig when trying get folding stable!

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old April 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

check out the hidden folders in C:\User.
Old April 10, 2009, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nademon View Post
that sounds like you have a copy of the client config file hiding somewhere. I thought that would be the place where that info would be stored. Maybe do a search for the client config file? I'm not sure, but you definately should have to re-enter all your info. kinda makes sense that you're crashing if it's trying to work on an ATI WU.

Trust me...there's been many a time that I wanted to take an axe to my rig when trying get folding stable!

Did a dual search with Hidden folders/files enabled, found a few more things that had the FAH tag, so I nuked those too. Got LiveOneCare Doing registry sweep, and going to run one more instance of Driver Sweeper and hope for the best.
Oh, you are not getting the 'One' Back Nademon! I will get it to fold tonight! Hell or High Water!!

ST

Old April 10, 2009, 06:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure you run Driver Cleaner in Safe mode too.
Old April 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

are you using graphic client?

I had that problem too with the graphic client

Drives shoudn't be such a big problem, before i was folding i was on a ATi GPU
Old April 10, 2009, 07:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Looks like you still have the old data lying around... you want to nuke your F@H data folder.

Default for Vista is: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Folding@home-gpu
I don't remember what it was for Windows XP, but it should be floating around in C:\Documents and Settings\<username\Application Data\ somewhere. If you can pull up your F@H log, you can figure out where the data folder is (since the log is in that folder).

Once you found the folder, close your F@H, delete everything in the folder (especially the config file, queue.dat, and work folder), and start the F@H client agian. Delete the FAHCore just in case.