Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2009, 02:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
@ Imma: wc'ed I can run this i7 at 4.1. BUt since everything is wc'ed on this rig, I'm waiting for summertime to raise the oc. Basement = cool... As for the TRUE, 4.0 is achievable, if you don't mind the 70C-75C load temps. That's what my i7 ran at, using the TRUE 120.

@ Zlojack, I think we have the same setup, minus the ram. I too am using Prifinnity.
What priority do you assign to the VMs?
Old April 18, 2009, 03:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
@ Imma: wc'ed I can run this i7 at 4.1. BUt since everything is wc'ed on this rig, I'm waiting for summertime to raise the oc. Basement = cool... As for the TRUE, 4.0 is achievable, if you don't mind the 70C-75C load temps. That's what my i7 ran at, using the TRUE 120.

@ Zlojack, I think we have the same setup, minus the ram. I too am using Prifinnity.
Heh, sure if you can get 4.0 on air with just a regular TRUE 120, hell if I got the 1366 RT I could probably pull off 4.0 with less than 70C...which I wouldn't mind, anyway. Cosmos S is cold on the inside =D

I got the cores set to Normal priority, before I had them on low...I'd like to see how they'd do on High priority, or maybe Realtime...What priority do you guys got it at?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 18, 2009, 03:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
Heh, sure if you can get 4.0 on air with just a regular TRUE 120, hell if I got the 1366 RT I could probably pull off 4.0 with less than 70C...which I wouldn't mind, anyway. Cosmos S is cold on the inside =D

I got the cores set to Normal priority, before I had them on low...I'd like to see how they'd do on High priority, or maybe Realtime...What priority do you guys got it at?
Priority shouldnt matter unless you're doing other things while folding. IE: GPU client, or using other applications/games.

If you're just letting the PC sit there and fold with the 2+VM clients, no GPU, then it is my understanding it shouldnt matter.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old April 18, 2009, 03:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Actually I got a GPU folding session going with my 4850...what priority should I set the VM's to? what about the GPU FAH?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 18, 2009, 04:45 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
What priority do you assign to the VMs?
Below normal for all 3 FAH related processes, and if that matters low priority on the vmplayer and -vmx processes.

Imma, I've had both 120 and RT variants of the TRUE, and saw no difference between them on the same chip.

Sagath, I run 4 Clients on that single rig, and found that processes priority makes a huge difference.
Old April 18, 2009, 05:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Below normal for all 3 FAH related processes, and if that matters low priority on the vmplayer and -vmx processes.

Imma, I've had both 120 and RT variants of the TRUE, and saw no difference between them on the same chip.

Sagath, I run 4 Clients on that single rig, and found that processes priority makes a huge difference.
Hmm...I wonder why I'm getting such low PPD, then.

Unless overclocking to 3.4 really does get such a boost!
Old April 18, 2009, 05:12 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quick question about the Prifinity program; When I do a ctrl-alt-delete, I see the "Vmware-vmx" process. When I load Prifinity, it does not show this process.

I wanted to set this process to "Low", but I can't with this program. Is simply making the fahcore_11 process "High" the best workaround to ensure system stability/maximum PPD?

edit: This is on my main rig in my sig, Vista 64.

Working fine in my folding rig, and can see the vmx process no problem.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; April 18, 2009 at 05:19 PM.
Old April 18, 2009, 05:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

If I set the priority for the VM's to low, and GPU to below normal, won't that just slow it down?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 18, 2009, 05:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Quick question about the Prifinity program; When I do a ctrl-alt-delete, I see the "Vmware-vmx" process. When I load Prifinity, it does not show this process.

I wanted to set this process to "Low", but I can't with this program. Is simply making the fahcore_11 process "High" the best workaround to ensure system stability/maximum PPD?

edit: This is on my main rig in my sig, Vista 64.

Working fine in my folding rig, and can see the vmx process no problem.
You can find that program file in C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\x64 and add it to Prifinitty
Old April 18, 2009, 05:41 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Trying to add the "VMware-vmx" process, but the file extension is .vmx and Prifinity does not see it, as it will only recognize exe and src files.

I did add the "vmplayer.exe" to the favourites section no prob, but it will not recognize the loaded up virtual machine, like the task manager does, and like prifinity does in XP. None of the processes prifinity sees is the actual virtual machine doing the folding. Prifinity tells me that my cpu is at 98-100% usage, but in the left panel of prifinity, in the column called "CPU%", no process is taking more than 2-3% of the cpu. Trying to add the "vmware.vmx" file won't work, as prifinity won't recognize it on this machine.

Am I missing something?
Fold for team #54196