Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 30, 2010, 10:21 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

gingerbee, that isn't the VM you should be using. You should either use linuxrouter's -bigadv VM to run -bigadv workunits on your i7, or you should just run the Windows SMP client with the -advmethods flag in order to fold SMP2 workunits. With notfred's virtual appliance, you won't be making very good use of your CPU.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i am just using what hwc has to download so? and as i said before smp2, wu and bigadvan not looking to learn the lingo just trying to help if you can point me in the right direction for the folding i should be using. ( oh remember this is my daily use machine i don't want it maxed out all the time )
I just need to clear somethings up . 1 the vm machine i am using is the vmplayer3.0.
2. i am using the diskless folding that is for download off the first page of this thread
3 your saying that there is a better vm or a better linux diskless folding to run in said vm?

FYI i am folding on smp for cpu on my system as well as folding in a vm running windows 7 using the same cpu client for both just setting it do. plus the diskless folding this is 3 smp clients i think there 3 things folding ( sorry if my lingo is wrong as i have said before just trying to help not become a folding monster like some members he he) hwc seems to be all about folding lately and nothing more that's why i been spending more time at hard ocp there gamer freaks a little more up my alley ah ha ha
thank if anyone can point me to what i am doing wrong and i will fix it thank guys/gals for all the help
Old March 31, 2010, 05:14 AM
MVP
F@H

Hey found out that my AMD X2 215 rig do the same (if not a little more) PPD with the windows SMP client VS VWmare. Much easier too.... Maybe VMware is now just good for -bigadv rig.......

In other words, not worth it now to use VMware folding if you have not a -bigadv rig
Old March 31, 2010, 06:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well see if it's not wroth it then i am going to stop thank for the heads up.
Old March 31, 2010, 05:09 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
well i am just using what hwc has to download so? and as i said before smp2, wu and bigadvan not looking to learn the lingo just trying to help if you can point me in the right direction for the folding i should be using. ( oh remember this is my daily use machine i don't want it maxed out all the time )
I just need to clear somethings up . 1 the vm machine i am using is the vmplayer3.0.
2. i am using the diskless folding that is for download off the first page of this thread
3 your saying that there is a better vm or a better linux diskless folding to run in said vm?

FYI i am folding on smp for cpu on my system as well as folding in a vm running windows 7 using the same cpu client for both just setting it do. plus the diskless folding this is 3 smp clients i think there 3 things folding ( sorry if my lingo is wrong as i have said before just trying to help not become a folding monster like some members he he) hwc seems to be all about folding lately and nothing more that's why i been spending more time at hard ocp there gamer freaks a little more up my alley ah ha ha
thank if anyone can point me to what i am doing wrong and i will fix it thank guys/gals for all the help
If you want to produce the most points, you'll want to go -bigadv. The instructions for that are here: [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Folders Compendium, FrEaKy's Pocket Guide Edition!

If you want a more hassle-free solution, then go with the Windows SMP client. To set it up, you will need to download it from here and install it: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...-SMP-mpich.exe

Once it's installed, navigate to the directory you installed it to and run install.bat. Press enter on the first line, and then enter your user account password both times when prompted. You should see this message:
Quote:
If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you see this twice, MPI is working
Once that's done, create a shortcut to Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe. Put it wherever you want to keep it. Go into its properties and add these two flags to the end of the target box:
Quote:
-smp -advmethods
Now, go to this site and sign up to receive a passkey (the form is case-sensitive, so make sure you use the right case for your F@H user name). You should get an e-mail containing it within a few minutes. Once you've received it, start up F@H from the shortcut you made. Enter in your folding name, the team number (54196 for HWC), and your passkey when prompted. You should be able to leave all the other options at their default settings. Once you're done configuring it, drop the shortcut into your Startup folder to make it auto-launch when you log in. And that's all there is to it .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
well see if it's not wroth it then i am going to stop thank for the heads up.
Not worth it compared to running -bigadv or the Windows SMP client, that is.
Old March 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

thank gonna have to get back to in a day or too way to much to do right know sorry guys will keep folding with the installed smp cpu client (i think that's what it is the one you just install and run on your cpu) and i will still use my vmware 7 install to fold to keep helping with the numbers. thank for the detailed response zero
Old April 7, 2010, 12:19 PM
Allstar

Version 1.2 has arrived:

1.2 -
* Kernel
+ Add several new kernel builds with additional optimization.
- Changed from IDE to SCSI device
- Upgraded to the latest stable 2.6.33.1

* System update
+ Added support for automatic backup of data that can be enabled via the web interface or console.
- Backup runs hourly and on system shutdown. On the next bootup, the data is restored from the most recent backup.
- A maximum history of five backups are kept in /var/fah via tar.gz files.
+ Updated the bootup instructions.

* Web configuration
+ Set maximum cores to 32 to cover possible additional SMP support for future releases of VMware.
- 8-cores is still the maximum for the current 3.0.0 version of VMware Player.
+ Added links to admin and log pages via the main configuration page.

That backup thing might solve my own issue. I was unable to get ram disk to work wherein it would lose all progress. no matter the measures I went through for backing up. After switching off Ramdisk, my backups still failed to resume. I was finally able to successfully resume once off of a BSOD, though I'm not at all sure how much was lost.

The 32 core thing should be great for people with multiple CPUs. While VMWare Player doesn't support more than 8 cores (4 if you use the most recent release of it), I'm sure some of their higher offerings don't have this limit. Personally I'd look at paying a license for a VM client rather than switching to a Linux build that couldn't utilize my GPUs.