Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 12, 2009, 10:30 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Are you using Windows XP and the 180+ drivers?

I heard that the VMware method from the EVGA forums crashes if left unattended for long periods of time. Anyone experienced this?
Using it on two rigs. One is XP Pro 32-bit, and the other is Vista 64-bit. Both using 180.+ drivers. All running non-stop since yesterday am.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 12, 2009, 11:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Using the vmware method from the Evga link you provided has increased my overall PPD, but my two GTX 285s are about 2500-3500PPD lower than usual (I think...I usually use FahMon, but have been using FahSpy last few days instead). I think if I can get the core priorities right I can get a couple extra 1000 PPD out of my two rigs.
I am seeing the same thing with my GTX 295, both GPUs' PPDs are lower and the GPUs are not running full bore as the temps are about 10 deg cooler than before I started running the VMware on the CPU. Although my overall PPD will be up because of the added CPU program, it is not up the full amount because the GPUs look CPU starved.

I downloaded the PriFinitty2 program and set the GPUs to Below Normal and the VMware to Low priority, set the Afinity to both cores for all programs... we'll see what that does.

Do I only set the priorty and affinity on the FAHcore_11 or also on the folding@home programs as well? Any know?
Tablet - Asus eee Transformer
Wife's Rig - Lenovo Laptop
Old April 15, 2009, 07:19 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

@Dwayne: I am not actually sure. I just set the priority for both!

On a *hopefully* unrelated note, I have seen this error twice on the vmware clients: [22:13:57] Client-core communications error: ERROR 0x0
The client just downloads a new core, and starts folding again at 0%. It does manage to get some WUs done, but not sure why this happens yet.
Fold for team #54196
Old April 15, 2009, 07:22 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've had tha too, and increased the ram amount to 1024Mb. Hasn't happened again. Though I had to shut down a Client because of this.
Old April 15, 2009, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Mine has been pretty much smooth sailing since I set it up with PriFinitty and stuff. The only annoying thing is that the wireless sometimes drops on the backup rig and I have to go reset the adaptor to make sure it hands in the work!

But the VMs and the GPU clients are going along just fine! I can't wait to get my other 295 up and running!
Old April 17, 2009, 04:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

How do I know that the VM's are folding? Does it automatically start when you log in, or does it start when the client boots up? Do I have to tell it to start folding? I dunno if it's actually folding but when I go into task manager with 4 VM's it says that CPU Usage is at 100%, does this generally mean I am folding or does it just mean that the CPU is overloaded when virtualizing 4 VM's at the same time? How can I configure FaHMon to monitor these if I am folding on multiple VM's?
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 17, 2009, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmaPC View Post
How do I know that the VM's are folding? Does it automatically start when you log in, or does it start when the client boots up? Do I have to tell it to start folding? I dunno if it's actually folding but when I go into task manager with 4 VM's it says that CPU Usage is at 100%, does this generally mean I am folding or does it just mean that the CPU is overloaded when virtualizing 4 VM's at the same time? How can I configure FaHMon to monitor these if I am folding on multiple VM's?
As long as the VM is running, you should be able to see your CPU usage at 100% which indicates it's folding.

I suggest you use FAHSpy rather than FAHMon as FAHMon doesn't read the VMs properly and returns a false *hung* message.

You need to put in the IP of the VM like this in FAHSpy \\<YOUR IP>\c\etc\folding\1\
Old April 17, 2009, 04:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If your CPU usage is way up then its folding. However, it is an smp client so I have two instances running to use up all 4 cores. Each instance utilizes 2 cores. It does start folding right away. However, you need to enter the configuration page, to ensure that you enter your own username and team number.

I used the first Evga guide that zlojack linked to in the first post of this thread. That guide gives you the location of the log files that FaHMon and FahSpy uses. For one of my clients, the folder location is \\192.168.1.106\c\etc\folding\1\ . The first set of numbers is the IP address of the vmware client. If you look closely at the black vmware screen console, you can see the IP address that client is using. My second instance uses \\192.168.1.107\c\etc\folding\1\ (the first one is 106, the second 107...these will be different for your particular network setup).

Hope this helps!
Fold for team #54196
Old April 17, 2009, 05:11 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Great, so I got FAHSpy going...but it says that from this I'm only getting...465 PPD total!?! WTF???
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One
Old April 17, 2009, 05:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think you need to start up the VMware, or at least set it up as a service. I have yet to hear of people running VMware folding as a service.

@ImmaPC. What's your system rig? Do you have the -smp flag?