Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 1, 2009, 08:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone else catching these 5101 / 5102 WU's on SMP clients? They halve my PPD. I hope that's not the Pande group taking away the Linux client's PPD advantage.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Yup, the work stays. I found that the clients always pull the same IP number from my router. It tells you what IP it pulls as it boots, and you set Fahmon or Fahspy to 192.168.1.###/1 (the fahlog is in a subdirectory called 1).
The IP address I got was 192.168.184.X if I remember correctly, and sometimes it'd give me a different IP then before. Do you know how to set a static IP for it? I PMed Notfred over at Tech Report and he says he doesn't know how to set a Static IP for his Notfred client.

Also, is there a way to force minimize the client to the system tray? If not, I'll just go back to the tried and true Windows SMP.
Old June 2, 2009, 01:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Geokilla, there must be a way, because mine seem to work, but I'll be damned if I know what I did :lol:

For minimizing to tray, check here: Minimize to tray: Minimize to the system tray any program you want!
Old June 2, 2009, 02:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlojack View Post
Geokilla, there must be a way, because mine seem to work, but I'll be damned if I know what I did :lol:

For minimizing to tray, check here: Minimize to tray: Minimize to the system tray any program you want!
Lol I'm gonna try and give the VMware network connections a static IP and see what that does. I tried twice to give the Notfred client a static IP by configuring the client in the browser, only to have it fail and forcing me to reinstall the Notfred client.
Old June 2, 2009, 03:51 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow. Just started using VMWare today and my PPD went for 6000PPD to just over 10250 PPD (i7 920 @ 4.0 GHz). Amazing.

One question though. I didn't set the memory allocation. It's still at the default size of 640. The reason why I don't want to change it to over 1152 or higher is because I'm running 4 VMs on 2 cores each. Is 1.5 GB of leftover RAM good enough to run Win7 x64? I don't have that many processes running at once...

3.0 Charlie, you said you were running 2 VMs on 4 cores each? Would I need Priffinity to ensure 100% CPU usage?
Old June 2, 2009, 04:31 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Other way around - 4 Vms, 2 cores each. With Vista 64bit, and 6Gb of ram, I'm left with 1.4Gb. Plenty.

Prifinitty is only useful if you GPU fold too, on the same rig.
Old June 3, 2009, 04:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I've given up with Notfred's client. I finally managed to set a static IP for the VMware network adapter thing, but then I lose all Internet capabilities on the computer.

I just thought of this. What happens if I suspend the VMware then turn off the computer? Does the IP address of the Folding client remain the same?

Also, if I have VMware set to use 1000MB of RAM, what happens if I run into an application that requires huge amounts of RAM? I have only 2GB installed in our computers.

Last edited by geokilla; June 3, 2009 at 07:32 PM.
Old June 9, 2009, 11:01 PM
Top Prospect

okay, hit a bit of a snag...tried running the folding client, and before I can get to the typing in of the IP step from the tut, VMware tells me:

1. it has a bad address 'www.stanford.edu'...not sure how I'm supposed to give it the right one...
2. failed to download client from stanford's website.

what do I do to fix this?
I'm using the rig in my sig

Soon up and running:
Thunder
ASUS Rampage II Gene \\ Intel i7 920 \\ EVGA GTX 275 \\ Corsair 6GB 1600MHz 7-7-7-20 \\ WD Caviar Black 640GB \\ Blu Ray Drive \\ Corsair HX620W \\ NZXT Rogue
Old June 10, 2009, 01:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try changing the networking settings to NAT instead of bridge.
Old June 11, 2009, 01:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I seem to be having trouble viewing it in fahmon. I didn't bother with the separate folders because I'm only using a dual core. I have tried my ip address and the one I can see in VMWare, the cpu is maxed it so I know it's working. I followed the directions. Also a question about priorities, GPUs should be low and SMP normal/high?