Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 13, 2009, 04:53 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default SMP stray files

Hi all. I've not been using the SMP for a couple days because it crashed hard and repeatedly when I started using the GPU -advmethods. I guess the extra cpu usage the new Projects use messed with my SMP. Anyways when I started looking at the log for the SMP it kept saying I should check for stray files..I've looked in the work folder and it appears that theres a 10 meg file in there and it looks like partial work (around 77%) that I had been working on when the SMP client went to shit. I also looked in the logs to see if any partial results were sent in but there wasn't any. I figured it was buggered so I got a program called qfix to try and fix it and then send it in but Qfix didn't do anything. Should I just rub out my entire work folder and forget probably like 1200points or is there a trick to this Qfix? Anyways the bigger question is what exactly is a stray file and were should I look for them?
Old March 13, 2009, 08:53 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
Hi all. I've not been using the SMP for a couple days because it crashed hard and repeatedly when I started using the GPU -advmethods. I guess the extra cpu usage the new Projects use messed with my SMP. Anyways when I started looking at the log for the SMP it kept saying I should check for stray files..I've looked in the work folder and it appears that theres a 10 meg file in there and it looks like partial work (around 77%) that I had been working on when the SMP client went to shit. I also looked in the logs to see if any partial results were sent in but there wasn't any. I figured it was buggered so I got a program called qfix to try and fix it and then send it in but Qfix didn't do anything. Should I just rub out my entire work folder and forget probably like 1200points or is there a trick to this Qfix? Anyways the bigger question is what exactly is a stray file and were should I look for them?
The warning is a bug in the SMP client logfiles which is harmless, if it says;

Quote:
-Failed to delete work/wudata_0x.sas
-Failed to delete work/wudata_0x.goe
Warning: check for strayfiles
You can safely ignore it.

When you restart the client it should restart on the partially completed WU. As for the 10meg file, that sounds big, what file extension is it...

Old March 14, 2009, 08:53 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

It was a wudata_04.xyz or something like that LCB. I just deleted the entire folder because there was no salvaging that broke WU because it was days past the deadline. At least I got ahold of Qfix for the future and have done some reading up on it but it also appears that the clients error control has gotten much better over the last while so it dosn't seem like qfix is really needed much anymore.

I got the CPU stable finialy, I've been pushing it rather hard for a C0 stepping @ 3.9Ghz and I guess the extra work the new projects put on the cpu was just enough to make it puke. I played with the core priority and set the cpu usage to 90% and now I have a comfortable CPU idle of 3-4% after the GPU takes it's share of 6-7%.

I think I'm all done with refining both clients, overclocking ect. Got my E8400 up to 1900ppd, and the GPU is absolutely crushing those 1680s at 8604ppd. Only time and me resisting the urge to play Empire: Total War will tell if I can hit the magic 10,000ppd which would rock on my meager dual core and 260. You really have to play with the SMP alot or I've found it can rob ppd from the GPU client. At one point my SMP was getting 1960ppd but my GPU fell to 7700. It's a real balancing act to maximize the combine totals but I've got this tiger by the tail now...I hope
Old March 14, 2009, 11:43 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwaysrun View Post
You really have to play with the SMP alot or I've found it can rob ppd from the GPU client. At one point my SMP was getting 1960ppd but my GPU fell to 7700. It's a real balancing act to maximize the combine totals but I've got this tiger by the tail now...I hope
That's why I recommended increasing the priority of the GPU to 'Slightly Higher', of course it might be different using it with a duel instead of a quad.

It's the 'balancing act' and tweaking that make Folding interesting, just when you think you've got it nailed they change the mix with a new WU or core...