Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 16, 2009, 05:38 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Yep. Peer reviewed papers on results using FaH: Folding@home - Papers

Lots of results/stories on Huntingtons and Influenza in the news section as well
I gave it a quick skim, and I didn't see a single article where folding helped save lives. After about three years, I have yet to see a breakthrough in this research; all it has given us is a more carbon dioxide enriched environment as a result of energy consumption.
Old February 16, 2009, 05:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Hey bud I was just kidding !!! Funny thing though. We rarely hear the environment mentioned now with the economy and Obama mostly in the news. From front page to who nows where.

Here in Ottawa there's a local radio guy named Lowell Green who's been on CFRA for years who's thinks global warming is not happening. You should hear him sometimes. Frustrating. When it's -40 he says what about global warming? But when someone called him and said that Australia is having non stop heat he changes the subject.
Old February 16, 2009, 05:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
I gave it a quick skim, and I didn't see a single article where folding helped save lives. After about three years, I have yet to see a breakthrough in this research; all it has given us is a more carbon dioxide enriched environment as a result of energy consumption.

Give it time. While the results of the computations come faster, the research on the results and what they mean still have to be examined and interpreted by human doctors.
Old February 16, 2009, 06:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyhorsejohnny View Post
Hey bud I was just kidding !!! Funny thing though. We rarely hear the environment mentioned now .
Quote:
Lowell Green who's been on CFRA for years who's thinks global warming is not happening
Actually, the reason we are seeing less about global warming on the news is because of the idea that maybe, just maybe, that we're not causing as much damage to the ozone layer as originally thought.

Quote:
I don't like his idea of folding....folding should not cost me an extra $300/month on electricity
I believe that less people should drive short distances when they could just walk for, say, 30 minutes. Does this make them wrong? I mean, I'm sorry for pointing this out, but it almost seems ignorant to say such a thing.

Quote:
cause an excess amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere, thus causing global warming
Honestly, this guys folding rig is the least of our problems.

Old February 16, 2009, 06:30 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
Give it time. While the results of the computations come faster, the research on the results and what they mean still have to be examined and interpreted by human doctors.
I still say that the health of the environment should be top priority. When a human dies, another one can be created, while the earth cannot replicate this cycle. Therefore, I'm slightly against this whole folding concept due to the fact that computers draw a lot of power when running at full load. When the results are helpful, then I may change my stance on this topic.
Old February 16, 2009, 06:36 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
I still say that the health of the environment should be top priority. When a human dies, another one can be created, while the earth cannot replicate this cycle. Therefore, I'm slightly against this whole folding concept due to the fact that computers draw a lot of power when running at full load. When the results are helpful, then I may change my stance on this topic.
Well, this is like what I mentioned in my previous post. Everyone should stop driving, and instead be given a bicycle and a helmet. Vehicles give out much more pollution then a computer does, and are more dangerous to the environment and people in general.

Old February 16, 2009, 07:53 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
When a human dies, another one can be created, while the earth cannot replicate this cycle.
The difference is that the earth will never "die" (except when the sun will); it will only change. Some of it's habitants may and will die, some won't, and after a couple of millions of years, there will be new species who will conquer the earth again. The future of the earth is bright; our future might not be as much. Problems are waiting for us around the corner. I really don't know how it's going to be in 100 years, but I guess it will be somehow different from now (and no, I'm not talking about flying cars).

Old February 16, 2009, 07:54 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Well one work unit will not help cure cancer or Huntingtons. Much scientific research takes years to accomplish. My computer (and the one you are typing on) has done plenty of damage to the environment through manufacturing and transportation. Most of the day it just sits there, so the small amount of further damage it will do to the environment is a price I am willing to pay.

Also, these calculations done on my machine would otherwise have to be done on supercomputers and take much more time to accomplish. If we are really counting all the watts and damage to the environment here, the construction and running of many supercomputers is avoided here through the calculations of our otherwise idle machines. I am not saying it offsets all the pollution but if we are being picky, its something that must be accounted for.

It is also a therapeutic hobby for many of us who have had close ones die or suffer horribly due to the diseases being targeted by this project.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 16, 2009, 08:07 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama_egg View Post
Well, this is like what I mentioned in my previous post. Everyone should stop driving, and instead be given a bicycle and a helmet. Vehicles give out much more pollution then a computer does, and are more dangerous to the environment and people in general.
A friend of mine is doing his PhD in the area of geography and urbanization. He says that urban sprawl/suburbs are the crime of the century. We have the added carbon footprint of the large homes, degradation of forests, reliance on cars (leading to health risks such as breathing issues and obesity to name a few), and wasted materials and resources to build and maintain all this stuff. We and up paying more taxes to upkeep this wasteful infrastructure and health care costs.
Fold for team #54196
Old February 16, 2009, 08:25 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
While Folding may not have saved lives directly yet, this is close enough for me;

Quote:
December 18, 2008

New FAH results on possible new Alzheimer's drug presented

This is very preliminary news, but something I'm very, very excited about, so I'll give some advance news. On Tuesday, we presented our results regarding new possible drugs (small molecule leads) to fight Alzheimer's Disease at a recent meeting at Stanford. This meeting was part of the NIH Roadmap Nanomedicine center (Center for Protein Folding Machinery) retreat and was supported by NIH grants to Folding@home.
It's very early (so we are not publicly talking about the details until this has passed peer review), but we are very excited that it looks like we may have multiple small molecules which appear to inhibit toxicity of Abeta, the protein which is the toxic element in Alzheimer's Disease.

This is exciting in many ways. It's been a long road for FAH to get to this point, but we are starting to see the possibility of seeing these results published easily before our 10th birthday (October 2010). Considering all the technology development that had to be done in the first five years, these results have come very quickly (in the last 3 years), which is exciting. In particular, we are now looking to apply these methods to other protein misfolding diseases (we have pilot projects for Huntington's Disease underway).

Finally, I should stress that while we're very excited about this, it's still early and a lot can go wrong between where we are and having a drug that doctors can prescribe. Over the holidays, we will be double checking the experimental data, crossing t's and dotting i's to make sure there is nothing missed before we think about submitting this for peer reviewed publication. Also, there is still a long way from an interesting possible drug (where we are now) to something which has passed FDA clinical trials (where we'd love to be), and a lot can go wrong in clinical trials in particular.
I Fold and I will keep on Folding, see my Avatar...