Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 12, 2009, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default New to folding - Need help

Hey,

I originally installed the GPU Client and wanted to get into folding.. but had a curdart.dll error... I got that figured out just had to copy and paste that file.. so then it worked..

Then about 10 seconds into folding a got a BSOD.... so I figured maybe it was because I have SLI... So when my PC rebooted I disabled SLI and started the folding app again... BSOD in about 30 seconds this time..

What am I doing wrong? lol

So I uninstalled that and got a CPU client that seems to be working great, been going for about an hour now no problems... but aren't the GPU clients better? Plus I have 2 video cards for that...

Anyone got any tips? Thanks.

Video cards are 9800GTX and 9800GTX+ in SLI... latests nvidia drivers (jan 22)
All other specs seen in sig.
Old February 12, 2009, 01:37 AM
MVP
F@H

I was having issues like that with my 9800gx2 in vista. Are your cards overclocked? I found when I OC'd the card too aggressively, it would crap out. I reduced the GPU clock and memory clock and increased the shader clock a bit with rivatuner and it helped a bit with temps/stability. I ended up using DriverCleaner Pro and cleaning out all the drivers, then reinstalled video drivers and the gpu console clients. i was also having issues with the systray client and have had much better luck with the console client. Are you trying to fold on both cards or just one? Are you using Vista or XP? are temps an issue?

There are lots of much more experienced members on here that can probably help you start tracking down the issue. i'm pretty new to it myself and am having to learn a lot to get it working properly. Lots of hangs/crashes EUE's happening lately. i'm sure more ppl will chime in shortly...the 9800's are great folding cards! Hope what i've said will get you started in the right direction.

D

My Heat, Ebay, RedFlagDeals

Rig 1: CM HAF - Rampage Extreme - QX9650 - OCZ Gladiator Max - 4GB Mushkin DDR3 1600 - GTX280 - 2xBarracuda 500GB - 1xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 1000HX

Rig 2: Thermaltake Armor - P5K-E - E3110 - TRUE w/ 2 120's - 4GB Ballistix DDR2 1066 - 9800GX2 - 2xBarracuda 250GB - Pioneer DVD - Corsair 620HX

Rig3: Antec 900 - P5K-E/Wifi - E5200 - OCZ Vendetta 2 - 4GB OCZ DDR2 800 - 2x 8800GTS's - 1xWD Caviar 80GB - Pioneer DVD - OCZ 650W PSU
Old February 12, 2009, 06:45 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

You cannot use SLI while folding.

Folding is the toughest app to test stability. If your oc is unstable, the app will crap out, and even BSOD. Keep a close eye on those temps too.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

My video cards are not overclocked, however my CPU is. I'm using XP home SP3.
My OC of my CPU could be unstable, but I've never had it do this with anything else (3dmark, COD4, orthos for an hour) and I just folded with the CPU client overnight and my PC is still going.

My temps are all fine, my video cards get a little warm but I was getting a blue screen within a minute so it couldn't be the temperatures lol.

Should I try underclocking my video cards?
And is using the GPU client (that uses only about 30%cpu usage) going to give me a blue screen because of a slightly unstable CPU overclock? Because apps that make it go 100% for over an hour don't phase it..
Old February 12, 2009, 09:29 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Which GPU drivers do you use?

And Folding / crunching is the toughest app out there, even with a rig stable with Prime, OCCT, Linpack - you name it.
Old February 12, 2009, 09:46 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Which GPU drivers do you use?

And Folding / crunching is the toughest app out there, even with a rig stable with Prime, OCCT, Linpack - you name it.
Funny thing is Charlie, other people here have told me different and scoffed at the fact that I said the same thing.
That is what sometimes confuses me , and makes me wonder which side is right/wrong.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old February 12, 2009, 10:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

GeForce Driver Release 181 WHQL Version: 181.22 Release Date: January 22, 2009 Operating System: Windows XP, Windows XP Media Center Edition Language: U.S. English File Size: 72.3 MB

Maybe it is a stability issue with the CPU... I'll pump some more voltage in it next time I reboot and try the GPU client again. Unless it's something else!
Old February 12, 2009, 08:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If you are going to run the classic CPU client I would run at least four instances of it for more points, make sure they have different machine ID's. Or you could try running the SMP CPU client for more points, but it's a little trickier.

If you want to try the GPU client I would go for a clean re-install, I have had better luck running the install from the download prompt rather than saving and then installing. The GPU client will generate a much higher PPD than the CPU client will, if you can get the multi-GPU set-up going like my second rig it's twice the fun...

And Welcome to the Team...

Old February 15, 2009, 09:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Working now with GPU client.. I'm scared to "display" it though....
I'll read into how to use both my GPU's to fold.... although that is going to generate lots of heat
Old February 15, 2009, 09:27 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Working now with GPU client.. I'm scared to "display" it though....
I'll read into how to use both my GPU's to fold.... although that is going to generate lots of heat
Don't use the display, it can slow down your system if not make it crash.

My set-up is alot like yours and my GTX+'s rarely top 62*, the 1200 is a great case for a multi-gpu Folding rig. If you need help just ask...