Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 17, 2009, 12:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome! I got it to fold using both of my GPU's.. So now I have 2 GPU's and my CPU running F@H.. I'm happy!

9330 PPD.. is that any good?
Old February 17, 2009, 12:29 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
Awesome! I got it to fold using both of my GPU's.. So now I have 2 GPU's and my CPU running F@H.. I'm happy!

9330 PPD.. is that any good?
Nice job with that set-up, a lot of people would find the multi-gpu Folding set-up difficult and not even try.

That is good, 9330 ppd will put you in the top 5 or 6 point producers on the team. Have you managed to OC the shaders yet, and which CPU client are you running...

Old February 17, 2009, 12:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCB001 View Post
Nice job with that set-up, a lot of people would find the multi-gpu Folding set-up difficult and not even try.

That is good, 9330 ppd will put you in the top 5 or 6 point producers on the team. Have you managed to OC the shaders yet, and which CPU client are you running...
It was kinda difficult, but I managed to do it. I'm pretty proud, really lol.

Well here's my dilemma on why I'm not OCing my GPU's

I have 2 video cards, a 9800GTX and a 9800GTX+

Due to the larger size of the 9800GTX, I have to run it on top, because there is too many wires with my 3 HDD and they would be in the way, since the GTX+ is smaller, I run it on bottom..

The GTX+ is 55nm (vs 65nm GTX), so it runs cooler, and would be better on top since it runs cooler (top card gets more heat thrown at it) but I can't do that to many wires. Plus it would look funny. (see pic!)

Without OCing my cards at all, they both run at stock speeds in SLI. The 9800GTX+ runs pretty fast compared to the GTX. If I overclock the 9800GTX a bit, the 9800GTX+ will downclock (when I OC in rivatuner, it applies to BOTH cards).
So I can't OC my 9800GTX PAST the 9800GTX+ without generating wayy too much heat (since its on top!)
So I just run them stock, if that makes sense But they are both "superclocked" models, so they are OC a bit (although I'm pretty sure the GTX+ shaders are stock anyways)

Here's a screenshot of my results... I ran the CPU client 2 times for more PPD. My room is going to get warm! My GPU fans are just buzzin right now. I'm using F@H on the CPU also.

Last edited by Jake_HT; February 17, 2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 17, 2009, 01:36 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I can see why you have a problem, I have my HDD in the bottom cage and the extra fan right in front of my GPU which makes a big difference. If you could relocate some of your HDD it would clean up the airflow and get them cooler air. Do you have your PSU flipped, it really helps with the cables. This is my set-up, sorry for the lousy pic, This was when I had just put it together and was anxious to see how it would do Folding.

Name:  Inside1200_2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  84.8 KB

Have you thought about trying the SMP CPU client ?. It uses four cores and should get you well over 2400+ ppd. If not the SMP then you could add more of the regular CPU clients, just make sure the GPU clients aren't locked to a specifc core to avoid them getting starved of cpu cycles.

Rivatuner should be able to OC each card separately I can with mine, unless its something to do with the SLI setup.

If you keep Folding like that you will be climbing the charts quickly...

Old February 17, 2009, 01:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I shove all my wires in the bottom cage and run the 3 hard drive in the middle cage, it's kinda crammed :( And yes I have my PSU just like yours is! Same unit also!

What is SMP CPU client? lol. I'll use that instead sounds like a better idea. I'd like to stick all with F@H apps (Stanford) if I can, unless this SMP client is a different study.

Thanks for the help so far, and I'll try figuring out rivatuner some more and up my shaders a bit if it works properly. How bad does that effect temps as opposed to core OC?

EDIT: Found SMP client.. gotta do some windows updates first though.

Last edited by Jake_HT; February 17, 2009 at 02:00 AM.
Old February 17, 2009, 02:19 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_HT View Post
I shove all my wires in the bottom cage and run the 3 hard drive in the middle cage, it's kinda crammed :( And yes I have my PSU just like yours is! Same unit also!

What is SMP CPU client? lol. I'll use that instead sounds like a better idea. I'd like to stick all with F@H apps (Stanford) if I can, unless this SMP client is a different study.

Thanks for the help so far, and I'll try figuring out rivatuner some more and up my shaders a bit if it works properly. How bad does that effect temps as opposed to core OC?
You could stick one of your hard drives in the top slot of the bottom cage, the PSU cables will still fit underneath. As to the Silencer, it's a great PSU. I was worried the 8pin MB cable would need an extension but it just fit.

The SMP client is just a more powerful CPU client that can use 4 cores, as compared to the regular (classic) CPU client that only uses one. It's a beta client like the GPU and so can be a little more difficult to use. Once you get it running right it's quite stable, mine have been running for months without a problem.

Overclocking the shaders actually won't generate that much more heat, at least not that the temp. sensors detect. You will know when you have overdone it because you will start getting EUE's (Early Unit End) on the GPU's. The core and mem. clocks you can leave at stock or even underclock, they have very little effect on Folding. I have the shaders on my regular GTX at 1918 and the GTX+'s at 1998.

This is an example of what mine will do;

Name:  FSpy23.01.09[2].jpg
Views: 57
Size:  71.8 KB

Old February 17, 2009, 05:44 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Damn. 24k ppd?
Old February 17, 2009, 05:28 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Damn. 24k ppd?
With a 353pt GPU WU and a 1760pt SMP WU on Rig1 the highest I've seen so far is 26,898 ppd, on the other hand if I get the 511pt WU's on all GPU's and 1920pt SMP WU's it can drop to ~17,880 ppd.

@ Jake_HT ; Looks like your GPU's are running well, your ppd is climbing nicely...

Old February 17, 2009, 05:35 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Tell me about those 511s and 1920s... that's all I have on both 9800s, the 260 and the Quad...
Old February 17, 2009, 05:50 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
Tell me about those 511s and 1920s... that's all I have on both 9800s, the 260 and the Quad...
Unfortunately the 1920's are the norm for SMP's, the 1760's are just a nice bonus every now and then. Luckily for me Rig1 must be connecting to a different server than Rig2 as it still gets alot of the 384pt WU's.

If you could somehow get your rig to connect to a different server you might get a different mix of WU's, how to do that I have no idea...