Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE CANUCKS COMMUNITY > HardwareCanucks F@H Team

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 10, 2009, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default New to folding...have some questions...

Oh Hai.

So I'm looking at doing some folding. I installed the Console Client on an old computer in my office, but I think the Universitys network may have issues with it so I didn't get it working. But there were a lot of settings.
The system I would run it on is in my sig. I'm looking to do this when I'm not doing anything taxing on my system like watching a movie or doing homework, but would want to turn it off If I'm watching some high def, gaming, or for any other reason. For this I assume the client is the best method, as I know there are the screen saver and a system tray app or something. I don't need anything graphical, just want to join the battle.

So basically I have a couple of questions.
-Can I use the same username on multiple systems? at the same time?
-Is there a HWC id I could put in or other team I could join?
-Can I control this with the requists I described in the above paragraph using the console, ie: turning it off when I want, or increasing/decreasing gpu/cpu usage?
-Also any other settings I should change or set that you guys can think of?

Thanks
Old February 10, 2009, 03:43 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

1. Yes. If multiple Clients on the same machine, use different IDs.
2. Team 54196
3. Simply shut down the client with CTRL+C.
4. Leave everything default. Should work fine.

Use the GPU2 Client for your 8800GT - good ppd. Make sure you check the GPU temps though.
Old February 10, 2009, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

So I have to have two separate clients one for cpu and one for gpu?

Also I assume this doesn't take up a lot of bandwidth...am I right?
Old February 10, 2009, 03:53 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd start with the GPU client only, and once you get used to it install the CPU Client. You could always install BOINC to crunch instead.

Bandwidth? Nah, not much.
Old February 10, 2009, 04:43 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

The gpu client will place an icon in the system tray. You can right-click and pause if you need to use the video card for anything like games and such. The gpu client will get many more points than the cpu client. Our folding team number is 54196 . Download this version: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandeg...ystray-623.msi

Its the gpu client, and is not found on the first page of the folding@home download page (its on the beta page, but don't worry, it been around a good while).

Welcome to the team!
Fold for team #54196
Old February 10, 2009, 07:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

more questions...lol
What is Bionic?
How do I check ppd and what is it?
And can/should I run cpu console and gpu systray apps at same time under same user?

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll post in the new user forum in a day or so with my inital thoughts.
Old February 10, 2009, 07:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

BOINC is a software that allows crunching of units, but for other research. I use it for my CPU, while my GPUs fold using FAH.

ppd = points-per-day. A WU (Work Unit) has a number of points given to the user when completed. Use Fahmon to check on the ppd.

Yes you can run 2 clients on the same machine, simply type Yes for Advanced Options, and choose different Machine IDs when configurating the clients. ID 1 could be your CPU (if you fold), ID 2 could be your GPU.
Old February 10, 2009, 07:36 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

If you are going to run a CPU client in addition to the GPU client, make sure to change the GPU clients priority from 'Lowest Possible' to 'Slightly Higher' in the config to make sure the GPU gets enough CPU cycles. Any CPU client should have it's priority set to 'Idle'...

Old February 10, 2009, 09:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Refer to the guide on installing FahMon to determine your PPD as 3.0 suggested:
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...-progress.html
Fold for team #54196
Old February 10, 2009, 10:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Also if I exit out of F@H GPU and shut down my pc, will it pic up where it left off when I reinitialize it?
Or is pausing the only way to do that and therefore you have to leave your PC on all the time.